a couple more liquorice quartet songs.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

a couple more liquorice quartet songs.

Post by gabewheel2000 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:59 pm

it's on our myspace profile and sound mushier there, but moslty want feed back on mixes, cause we're gonna do final mix soon. the new ones are Ode to a tree, side effects, and 12 and 2. lilu is old recording so don't worry about it. 12 and 2 i posted here before, and got some great advice, which we applied to this mix. side effects is a cover of Big Elf, but i really like Kelley and Laurens voices on it. should lauren's bass come up in mix?

http://www.myspace.com/thelicoricequartet

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: a couple more liquorice quartet songs.

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:03 pm

I love you guys. This is some great music. Twelve and Two is my favorite. I like Side Effects, though the vocals could be a little clearer. Ode To A tree is good too.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:56 pm

thanks! i listened to your stuff too. really cool. lotsa differnt things going on. re: vocal clarity, do you think it's mixable, or is it the take itself?

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:31 pm

It sounds to me like there is some chorus on the vocals, or it may just be multiple layers of vocals. I would suggest cutting back the chorus or some of the vocal tracks if that's the case. I think it's definately fixable, I don't think it's the original take. It just sounds like there are too many vocal layers and it's hard to understand the words. The music is mixed great though.

Thanks for checking out my tunes. I'm putting together another compilation album this year and I would love to put 12 and 2 on there. I'm not going to start work on it for a couple months because I'm finishing up some other projects, but I figured I would let ya know anyways.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:53 am

yeah, they (singers) have been into chorus on the vocals, i don't get it really. i'm ok with a slight delay, or reverb, but chorus is kinda weird.

re: possible comp, i'm sure they'd be down, let me know. wee.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:18 pm

I did a couple songs a couple years ago with chorus on my vocals. I thought it was really cool at the time, but later on I realized it just made things confusing. I think a slight chorus would be cool, but I would try putting that on a send and bringing it up slightly behind the normal vocal. Try to sell them on that. Their voices are too beautiful to be masked by chorus! heheheh

I wanted to ask some bands specifically to be on the comp. Ones that I think would really give it the sound I want. If I don't get enough that way then I will open up for submissions, from which I'll pick. You guys are really great though. I love that song (12 and 2). In a way it reminds me of Bosshog. You have plenty of time to talk it over with them. Like I said, I'm trying to finish up some things right now and I want to focus on the comp when I get the time (I'm guessing 2 months). Just to let you know, it will cost you nothing to be on it, unless you want to buy some copies to pass out yourself (only $1 a piece). I don't sell them. I use it for promo. People really enjoyed it last year, but I'm trying to make it even better this time around.

nowhereman
audio school

Post by nowhereman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:28 pm

I couldn't get the player to plat the songs unfortunately
Michael Hickman
The Fall Guys
Guitar, Keys, Vocals
The Nowhere Men
"I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul" G. Harrison 2001 <'{{{}}}><

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:46 pm

Yeah, are you on a mac?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:02 pm

Ok, I broke down and listened to them on my PC. Not the best for critical listening but serviceable I guess. Actually, the biggest thing I found out is how crappy the satellite/sub speaker assembly I have hooked up here is. But the songs translate well even on them--so I'd consider that a good sign. I think levels on the bass guitar are fine (a little on the high side with the rig I have--but I wouldn't take much from that; see above). Vocals on Side Effects sound a bit sibilant at times--maybe due to the chorusing. Other than that it all seems to have a good balance. Good job!