need video output card for G4

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

need video output card for G4

Post by fucdemas » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:26 am

hey ya'll. i work for a music house and most of us use miro cards to output video on our projects to external monitors. the miro cards are quite outdated and when in os 9 all video has to be recompressed to thier format to out put to the external monitor. there's a 3rd party driver written for os x that doesnt require a recmpression of video.

we've also found the cards to be quite buggy as of late. they've caused all sorts of massive crashes and freeze ups.

so i was posting here to find out if there is some sort of alternative to automatically output video from logic, DP and protools to external monitors. i would need a pci card. i assume ati probably makes an inexpensive alternative.

any info ya'll have will help.

thanks

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: need video output card for G4

Post by kcrusher » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:47 am

Are you talking about a television monitor or a CRT/TFT/LCD monitor - the difference being the type of input (S-Video, Composite, etc. vs DVI, ADC).
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by fucdemas » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:22 am

its outputting to a crt montor with an rca compostie video input

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm

A CRT with a composite video input? That's odd - are you sure you're talking about a CRT and not a standard television?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by fucdemas » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:34 pm

i might be confused.

it's a standard tv with an rca video input.

rca is composite no? and tv is crt (cathod ray tube)/ i may have just complicated it!

so yeah. tv... with rca video input

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:11 pm

I'm sure there are PCI cards out there with a standard RCA output - probably something like the ATI All-in-Wonder which has a TV tuner in it, though I'm not sure how that would work for playing video from your computer.

We use a Canopus ADC-100 - runs about $300 and connects via Firewire to the computer. Very solid in OSX.
- Hunter S. Thompson

fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by fucdemas » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 am

i called tekserve here in nyc and they suggested the canopus as well.

thanks fer yer help.