shipping guitars

jdsowa
pushin' record

shipping guitars

Post by jdsowa » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:45 am

I've got an acoustic with a nice hardcase that I'm going to be shipping in the next couple days.

How have you guys shipped guitars in the past? I'm thinking I can just wrap the case in brown paper and that would be sufficient. Or perhaps wrap the case in bubblewrap, then cover that with brown paper.

Would you be upset if a guitar came to you packed like this? Is a box absolutely necessary here?

-Jesse

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: shipping guitars

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:08 am

I'd think you want a box. Sometimes they have extras at guitar shops. If not, you can make your own out of smaller boxes and tape.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:32 am

UPS and Fedex won't let you collect on insurance unless stuff is double boxed. So, guitar case, AND box.

I'd say you want the guitar not moving in the case (bubble wrap), and the guitar case not moving much in the box (packing peanuts, newspaper). The box you want shouldn't be too much larger than the case itself.

Would I be pissed if a guitar that I bought came to me just in the hard case? Yeah. After the way I've seen shipping places mangle some stuff, yeah, I'd want the protection. Better safe than sorry.

But, its your feedback rating on the line.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Yikes!! I shipped my acoustic from AZ to NH wrapped in blankets, guitar case, more blankets, pillows, and an outer box. Well it was smashed in half when it got to NH. I couldn't believe it, they must have thrown a really heavy box right on top of it, cause it was sooo padded. Luckily I had insured it. But it wasn't just show them the guitar and they paid for it. Instead I had to contact the manufacturer, get them to appraise it's value now, not when it was made.. which no one wanted to commit to. It took me weeks to get them to give me a written apprasial that the US mail would accept. I'd avoid them.. go with someone who is a accepts a bit more responsibility.. FedEx?? (I dont' know if they do this)

So my advice is to insure it for at least 50 more than you think its worth(or more) Pack that fucker as good as you think it'll need, and then put more padding around it. And be prepared to freak out. lol

But after I did collect my pay.. I got a mixer and bass, which was shipped in mint condition... so maybe I just have bad luck.
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:39 pm

Generally FedEx has a slightly better rep than UPS. But then the US Postal Service has a better rep than UPS. They don't pronounce it "Oops" for nothing.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:00 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Generally FedEx has a slightly better rep than UPS. But then the US Postal Service has a better rep than UPS. They don't pronounce it "Oops" for nothing.
Yes - the USPS isn't under some deadline to get it there at some ridiculous speed, so they don't end up man handling the stuff.

I always ship gear USPS, when I have the choice.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:24 pm

I have heard that you are supposed to loosen the strings for shiping