HSayz: the Return of the Lo-Fi

NickCohen
audio school

HSayz: the Return of the Lo-Fi

Post by NickCohen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 am

Peoples--

Check us out! http://www.heraclitussayz.com

If you have cool lo-fi recordings and want them reviewed by people who understand the lo-fi, send them to us. Or if you're sick of all the other lame zines out there, try us, too. Or, if you're itchin' to join a revolution, we've got the ammo.

One lo-fi community to another, brother.

Nick Cohen

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Re: HSayz: the Return of the Lo-Fi

Post by Dr. Sausage » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:58 am

lo-fi is kinda stupid to me considering we are in the age of digital. Why make things sound lo-fi on purpose when you can make them sound halfway decent?

Lo-fi isn't a type of music, it's what the recording sounds like due to recording restrictions. I guess i'm not into the layer 400 things with distortion to make it sound lofi thang. Why make it sounds like a 4 track bounced 400 times when you can make it sound good?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 am

strat0tele wrote:lo-fi is kinda stupid to me considering we are in the age of digital. Why make things sound lo-fi on purpose when you can make them sound halfway decent?

Lo-fi isn't a type of music, it's what the recording sounds like due to recording restrictions. I guess i'm not into the layer 400 things with distortion to make it sound lofi thang. Why make it sounds like a 4 track bounced 400 times when you can make it sound good?
I guess you have a point, but i've always kind of liked the sound, maybe that's why people do that. I definately preferred the sound of Sebadoh and Pavement when they were the lower end of the fi scale. ...Jesus, what a garbled sentence. hey ho..
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

NickCohen
audio school

Post by NickCohen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:57 am

Some people perfer the "warmth" of a lo-fi recording. To some, digital can sound artificial at times. But lo-fi isn't just about a style of recording, it's about the principles of indie-rock. You could say that with the increase of digital music, there's also been a change in indie-rock to become more corporate. Lo-fi is kinda like a return to the roots. But to me, lo-fi means anything DIY--no matter what it sounds like.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:57 am

Rigsby wrote:
strat0tele wrote:lo-fi is kinda stupid to me considering we are in the age of digital. Why make things sound lo-fi on purpose when you can make them sound halfway decent?

I guess you have a point, but i've always kind of liked the sound, maybe that's why people do that. I definately preferred the sound of Sebadoh and Pavement when they were the lower end of the fi scale. ...Jesus, what a garbled sentence. hey ho..
You have a point as well. Music is music, if it sounds good regardless of what you do, it's good.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:00 am

NickCohen wrote:Some people perfer the "warmth" of a lo-fi recording. To some, digital can sound artificial at times. But lo-fi isn't just about a style of recording, it's about the principles of indie-rock. You could say that with the increase of digital music, there's also been a change in indie-rock to become more corporate. Lo-fi is kinda like a return to the roots. But to me, lo-fi means anything DIY--no matter what it sounds like.
I see what you mean.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:09 am

I think fidelity is often part of the music. Like writing a symphony for different concert halls, its nice to play music to match a particular fidelity. "Play to the fidelity," that's one of my favorite sayings.

Hope all is well, cheers.

LR

PS: http://www.giantrats.com/mp3s

tylerbcrawford
gettin' sounds

Post by tylerbcrawford » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:53 pm

I can see your point here for sure but on the other hand lo-fi is more relevant than ever considering the great contrast it poses to all the shiny perfect music out there today. Even "indie" bands are starting to sound all glossy and perfect. :roll:
Lo-fi Super Fun Pop - the port city allstars

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:25 pm

tylerbcrawford wrote:Even "indie" bands are starting to sound all glossy and perfect. :roll:
And they have very organised hair too, it's all pretty stylised now, and in a 'pro' way, not a home-made dressing up way. Shame. Can't explain why exactly, just seems like a shame.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm

YEAH, I hate indie rock now. Really. WaYYYYYY to overprouced and glossy. I hate all music, infact, except musique concrete, tone poems, and lo-fi.

I also love this mp3 blog.

tylerbcrawford
gettin' sounds

Post by tylerbcrawford » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:53 am

Rigsby wrote:
tylerbcrawford wrote:Even "indie" bands are starting to sound all glossy and perfect. :roll:
And they have very organised hair too, it's all pretty stylised now, and in a 'pro' way, not a home-made dressing up way. Shame. Can't explain why exactly, just seems like a shame.
The reason why I think it seems so lame is that something like indie which started out as a statement and this thing all about raw 4 track recordings and all that jazz turned into somthing that's all about being "pretty" and "polished" (which is the exact opposite of what it started as).
Lo-fi Super Fun Pop - the port city allstars