RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
g5 powerbook?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: This #%^ Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony moore
pushin' record

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

i've heard rumblings that apple will be releasing a g5 powerbook this fall. any of you longtime mac guys have any opinions?

i've been using my little 12" powerbook for a bit over a year now and love it. but i would like to have more ram and a second firewire port, and just a little bigger screen. if there's a hope of a g5 this year, i'll hold out a little longer...

thanks,

tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

The issue is heat...the dang processor just gets too hot. Check over at www.osxaudio.com for many links and exhaustive discussions. I remember reading that a company in Singapore was planning to have that technology ready for spring of next year, and a lot of techies seemed to believe it was realistic.
theistheman
pushin' record

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

dude...it'll melt.
tony moore
pushin' record

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

and the g4 wasn't possible in a personal computer...

i'm usually skeptical as well, but the new powerbooks just make me think apple has something up their sleeve...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
theistheman
pushin' record

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

yeah, I hope they pull off the G5 sometime soon. But for now, word out on the street is that they run way too hot. I'm sure within a couple of years they'll rectify that. That will be rad.
cfMC
pushin' record

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

I think the reason they dont have G5 laptops already right now is, once they do, G4 prices (already very low for such a powerful computer) will fall through the floor. and frankly a G4 is plenty powerful for the vast majority of users, day and night better than a G3. so I can't imagine Apple is any rush at all to put out a G5 laptop, much as we'd like them to
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

Check out OSX audio. Apparently, they actually can't keep it cool enough. I, for one, don't think they would stagger it like that simply becuase Apple visibility and confidence is pretty high...the perfect time to sell the world's "fasted goddamn laptop." I think, if they could, they'd market a single model for the people who need or think they need a G5 laptop to record Congas at 192khz in Nepal while running four softsynths and reason. Think trustfund price point: $2799.

kb
theistheman
pushin' record

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

thearnicasync wrote:
Check out OSX audio. Apparently, they actually can't keep it cool enough. I, for one, don't think they would stagger it like that simply becuase Apple visibility and confidence is pretty high...the perfect time to sell the world's "fasted goddamn laptop." I think, if they could, they'd market a single model for the people who need or think they need a G5 laptop to record Congas at 192khz in Nepal while running four softsynths and reason. Think trustfund price point: $2799.

kb

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

Yeah, and for $2799 you also get an Ipod shuffle and a GarageBand LE.

kb Razz
theistheman
pushin' record

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

I can see the ads now:

"New Powerbook G5, the perfect IPOD accessory"
tony moore
pushin' record

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: g5 powerbook? Reply with quote

LMAO!

Actually, is $2799 even that far off from a new G4 PB?

Sheesh...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: This #%^ Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: