RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Music & MP3s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundorphan
audio school

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

Check out our new CD.
beats the hell out of me
Revising History

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bthoom

Click on the HiFi playback the LoFi is pretty lousy

I recorded it using Tape-op DIY mics - the $20 condensors and the Royer modified Marshall.

I used the little mics for Overheads on most of the tracks, and the Tube Mic for the vocals throughout.

Some other cheap mics used are Radio Shack PZM's out in front of the Kit for Knee Highs for some ot the tracks.(song 5 the Promise)

I mixed it in Logic . With a Motu 828mkII.

Let me know what you think.

soundorphan@cox.net
dynomike
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

Sounds good! I really liked the guitar sounds throughout, and the sound of the drums on "The promise" was really good and fitting to the song.

What were you using on guitars? (guitar/amp/mic) Its got a nice, big and gutsy sound to it.
soundorphan
audio school

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

The guitars for the most part were played through Krank amlifiers, they are a new company from Tempe, AZ. Lots of low end.

I used MD421, SM57, MD504, and an occasional M88, on the 4x12 cab usually on axis.

The actual guitars are a Yamaha electric SGB-500, looks like a Lespaul meets an SG, and an AL (local guitar builder) Tele copy with a Humbucker single coil combination.

I have more info on the recording at
http://www.beatsthehelloutofme.net/how.htm

Thanks
dynomike
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

Thanks! I usually use an m88 but often have to boost the mids...

But I hate the nasal honk of the sm57..

So perhaps the 421 is really the ticket!
soundorphan
audio school

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

The 421 is awesome if you don't want the nasal 57 sound...

You might check into the the MD504 or whatever the current one is, it is really great too.

I like your stuff, and the photos on your site are well done.

Chris
djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

Pretty cool. At first when the riff kicks in I was like oh no not another one of these bands.. but you've got a great style and sound. Awesome singer too.
Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: New CD Recorded using Tape-op DIY mics, mixed in Logic Reply with quote

Another example of a not needing expensive equipment to record a great song.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Music & MP3s All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: