Help!! Which "small" analog machine? Or all Digita

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
GregW
audio school graduate

Help!! Which "small" analog machine? Or all Digita

Post by GregW » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:13 pm

So I'm obsessing about this. Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. I have 32 tracks of TASCAM DA-78hr, a TSR-8 (1/2" 8-track) and an MSR-16 (1/2" 16-track.) I can sync everything together via SMPTE and/or an ATS-500. Yeah, I'd love a 2" or fantastic A/D and D/A, too, but ya use what ya got!

The mics are A/T, Earthworks, beyers, 421s, 57s, Beta 52, etc. The pres are everyone's favorite Aphex 107, ART Pro MPA and a Presonus but also two Meeks (VC1, VC3Q) Oh, and the on-board pres of an Allen & Heath. (Hell, maybe even the Mackie 1402VLZ-Pro, too!) None of it top of the line, but it doesn't suck, IMHO.

The band is hard rock, tight, they know what they're doing, their gear sounds fine, all that. The location is their practice space, that being a 19th century factory/warehouse sorta thing that's been many things over the last century and a half. (Oh yeah, did I mention that I go on-site? Crazy, but fun.) I've recorded in that particular room before, (using both analog machines) and the acoustics were actually OK. Just goes to show that ya never know!!

So, the problem: I have 5 reels of 1/2" EMTEC 911 left. Whether that will be the last of it forever is anyone's guess, but at least this band hath been deemed "Analog Worthy." 5 reels is about 2.5 hours. If I use both 1/2" machines synced up, I use two reels at once, which cuts us down to 1 hour...unless I cut one of the reels in half.

(Hmmm...)

And finally, the dilema: How to spell "dilema." Oh, no actually, it's which combo to use. The choice:

1. All digital. [Screw analog, use the reels as frisbees.]

2. 1/2" 8 + as many digitals as needed. [And for this, do I do drums or backline on analog? Or both: transfer the material to the '78s and re-use the tapes.]

3. All on 1/2" 8. [Pre-mix drums, limit overdubs...do it like the Beatles, man!!]

4. All on 1/2" 16. [That's worked before, and an indie CD was made fom it...the dbx makes it pretty quiet, though I suppose dynamic range will suffer. When people say "analog," they don't mean 1/2" 16 track!!]

5. Use both 1/2" machines, tell the band to get their shit together, 'cause they only have one take of each tune! [Cut that 5th reel in half...use up those empty take-up reels.]

6. Beg and plead for some 1" tape so it can be done on 1" 16 track...an MS-16.

7. Some other idea.

9. Stick with live sound

10. Give up sound all together and get a real job in some corporate hell...sheep!!!

So I sit here agonizing over this choice, wearing a hole in the floor, pacing back and forth, trying to make a choice that will influende the entire future of local music as we know it...

Well, maybe not, but a little influence will be nice.

I maybe shouldn't tell which way I'm leaning (choice #2, drums on analog) but we'll see.

Thanks for helping me with my sanity!

-GRW
N.O.M.A.D. Travelling Recording Studio.
http://world.std.com/~grw
"Keep it off my wave" -Soundgarden
"America may not be perfect, but it's done fu***** all right by me." -John Valby

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Help!! Which "small" analog machine? Or all Di

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:30 pm

i say print reels... print it to analog, then dump it into digital for overdubs/mixing.

that's what i do and mondern tape can take alot of passes, so you're not gonna lose anything.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:32 pm

#2 Lock 1/2" to DTRS, track to 1/2" then dump to the DTRS. recycle tape so all the instruments hit tape before going to the DTRS machines. Record vocals on the DTRS. Mix from the DTRS.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Make decisions early. If a take sucks, rewind and record over it. Lock the machines and go to town.

Also buy some used tape if needed.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:25 pm

man, are you suggesting you cant record a rock band on 16 tracks?

grow a pair and make some decisions.

a million tracks does NOT make a record better OR easier to do. Id record on the 1/2" machine and have a big party celebrating the limitations of the medium. If the rolling stones can rule the world on an 8 track there isnt anything that should be difficult about making a rock record on a 16 track.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 pm

wait, where'd you get a 1" 16-track?

find 1" tape! look on the internet! (cough...musicians friend....)

it's definitely around. I say you scrape up some dough and go for the 1".

As far as tracks, I agree with dave.

GregW
audio school graduate

Post by GregW » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:11 am

soundguy wrote:man, are you suggesting you cant record a rock band on 16 tracks?
Certainly not!! Wash your keyboard out with soap!

It's basically *which* 16 tracks to use. All digi, all 1/2" 16, or a hybrid of digi and 1/2" 8.
grow a pair and make some decisions.
Yeah, yeah, that's why I'm thinking of doing it *all* on 8-track. Premix drums, baby, yeah!!!! Or do Fletcher's (or whoever's) three-drum-mic thang.

(Besides, the post was mostly to see what others thought, just for the helluvit. I kinda know where I'm leaning, and the thing doesn't start until this weekend.)
a million tracks does NOT make a record better OR easier to do. Id record on the 1/2" machine

Which one? I take it you mean the 8...
and have a big party celebrating the limitations of the medium. If the rolling stones can rule the world on an 8 track there isnt anything that should be difficult about making a rock record on a 16 track.
Yup, I did things on the 238 (8-track cassette, OMG) years ago, and others on the 1/2" 16. I hope you don't think that just because I *have* 32 tracks digi that I would use them all...

-GRW
"America may not be perfect, but it's done fu***** all right by me." -John Valby

GregW
audio school graduate

Post by GregW » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:14 am

nick_a wrote:wait, where'd you get a 1" 16-track?
E-bay.
find 1" tape! look on the internet! (cough...musicians friend....)

it's definitely around. I say you scrape up some dough and go for the 1".

Hmmm, there's a thought...
As far as tracks, I agree with dave.
Ya know, I think I should have said that I have just a pair 'o '78s!! :-)

-GRW

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:35 am

Track to the MSR-16. I have the same machine and it is possible to make a really good sounding record on these things. It's not 2" but many bands who have a hard on for tape go limp when they find out they're going to have to spend $500-$1000 on 2" reels before they even get started. I'd pass on the digital machines, to my ears the MSR16 sounds better than DA88s and ADATs. I'd use something like GP9, record very hot to tape and by-pass the DBX (unless you are doing quiet music with lots of open spaces). For a 4 peice rock band all in the same room I usualy do 5 tracks of drums (the Glyn Johns set-up and a room mic), a track each for guitars and bass and a couple of tracks for lead vocals. That's 10 tracks and 6 tracks free for overdubs, extra mics etc. If you still find you need extra tracks then stripe SIMPTE to track 16 and sych one of the DA88s to the analog machine.