RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Hard Drive Suggestions?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: This #%^ Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

I'm about to purchase my first ever hard drive and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Or if anybody's had a bad experience with a certain kind. I've been looking all day and it seems like a lacie or Maxtor is the way to go for my budget($200). It needs to be an external, and I want something good that will last me many years. I guess size isn't the most important thing, but is always a plus.

My setup:
Mac G4(Granite) OS 10.3
-733Mhz
-1.25Ghz RAM
macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

Check out granite digital. I don't have one but I like the enclosures alot. I have two maxtor one touch 160's. They seem to be ok so far. Very Happy
Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

I have a Western Digital that works well; and runs very quiet. Not sure of the exact model (140 GB I think).
maz
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

I've used an OWC Mercury Elite for a few years, never had a problem.

You should also try the search function of this forum. This subject comes up weekly.
Wire
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

Tha Lacie stuff is great, and you can get very large drives

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033
meblumen
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

I would recommend instead of purchasing an actual external harddrive, just get a firewire enclosure (there is a specific chipset it needs to have which I can't recall of the top of my head but I'm sure you can look it up or someone will lend a hand) and then whatever harddrive you decide on. Usually that route is cheaper and then you have a harddrive you can either use internally or with any portable enclosure and you can use the enclosure for other harddrives too.

I have used maxtors, western digitals and seagate drives. For the most part I haven't had any problems with any of them. I had one maxtor drive go bad but sometimes you just get a bad drive just like anything else so I don't really think its a reflection of bad quality on maxtor's behalf, just bad luck. I know the above wasn't too helpful but just some of my personal experiences.
aishabag23
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

www.ezq.com

their drives are recommended by digidesign. i personally love them.
Phiz
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

Be sure to get one that does atleast 7200 RPM.
SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go with the Lacie d2 extreme, lots of bang for my buck. I'd never heard of the OWC's though, and Maz always seems to know what he's talking about so I'm gonna look into those more. As far as getting an enclosure, I don't think it would work because I want to use my drive with friends' computers that don't have them. Maybe I'm missing something though.
Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

We exclusively use the OWC drives in all the studios I work in and the one I own. Its nice if you forget to bring a psu Very Happy

they work great and OWC has great customer support

Frost
meblumen
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

SaneMan wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go with the Lacie d2 extreme, lots of bang for my buck. I'd never heard of the OWC's though, and Maz always seems to know what he's talking about so I'm gonna look into those more. As far as getting an enclosure, I don't think it would work because I want to use my drive with friends' computers that don't have them. Maybe I'm missing something though.

The lacie stuff is great, I think you'll be fine with that. As for the enclosure route, basically you buy a regular old internal harddrive and then purchase a seperate external enclosure which you then place the harddrive in. The enclosure either has a usb or firewire port on it which you connect to the computer your using. The enclosures are not much bigger than the harddrive themself and thus you have a very portable and versatile data storage setup. If need be you can swap out the harddrive in your enclosure and use any other internal harddrive. Aside from being quite versatile, usually going this route is pretty cheap and just as good as buying a dedicated external harddrive. However, this way you have the ability to upgrade the size or type of HD without buying an entirely new harddrive.
SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Suggestions? Reply with quote

Oh, now I get it meblumen. I was thinking of something else(like those removeable glyph drives). That actually sounds pretty cool, I'll definitely look into it before I buy anything. Thanks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: This #%^ Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: