Cassette to digital/CD archiving -- good articles/tips?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ECC
audio school

Cassette to digital/CD archiving -- good articles/tips?

Post by ECC » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:11 pm

Hey all! After surprisingly finding nothing in the forums and little helpful via Google, I thought I'd make a post to pick yer brains...

The basic quandry: Archiving/transferring old cassettes to digital/CD. While there are plenty of very basic articles out there, there aren't many that address things like whether any sort of selective noise reduction is a good or not, and if so, what plugins/types/methods might work best.

My specific quandry: On top of the above, what about dealing with Dolby? In my case, I'm in the midst of relocating cross-country and recently while at the old place I hurridly archived some of my old cassette masters to my laptop (.WAV files burned to CD-R) for later fine-tuning. Some of the tracks have Dolby on them (C, I'm pretty sure), but I didn't select any Dolby during playback, figuring there would probably be some way of dealing with it in software later. Hah! Haven't found any solutions yet.

Are there software plugins to deal with old-style Dolby cassettes (B, C, etc.)?

If not, what's the best chance for one to improve the Dolby'd recording? I wish I could just re-do it from the deck it was recorded on, but that's a few thousand miles away... I could borrow another, but I'd probably have to tweak the alighnment etc., ick...

Thanks all!

- TradeMark G.
--
The Evolution Control Committee
http://evolution-control.com
"We're sooo next year"