Gates/Duckers/Compressor Sidechains in DAW!?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dynomike
carpal tunnel

Gates/Duckers/Compressor Sidechains in DAW!?

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:50 am

The gating thread got me thinking (again) about how much I'd like to sidechain for ducker effects and tightening up kick/bass, that kind of fun stufff.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this is even possible in a daw. I know the waves renaissance channel strip has it, but alas, I don't have the plug. Anything free or cheap that'll do this? Any special magical way to do it in Cakewalk sonar?

Or will I just have to buy a few hardware comps... (the comps suck pretty bad on my Ramsa DA7 anyway)

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

trevord
gettin' sounds

Re: Gates/Duckers/Compressor Sidechains in DAW!?

Post by trevord » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

its not a question of price either
fruityloops can do it
:)

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 am

There is a freeware one here:

http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slid ... index.html

From what I understand, most VST host programs will let you use only 2 inputs to a plugin, some will let you use more. This one comes in a mono, which should work fine either way, and a stereo, which needs 4 inputs.

I haven't tried it out yet, so I can't vouch for the plugin, but it's free so what do you have to lose?

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:21 pm

BGTechs Dynamics Pack (VST) has side-chain compression and dB Audio (DirectX)(http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd.htm). I hope you find any of this useful.

Best Regards
Rickard Gerthsson

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Sonar can do it, but its a bit hokey. When using the "FX Dynamics Processor" effect select the sidechain button, and then send it a stereo signal. The right side of the signal will be the sidechain input, the left side of the signal will be the audio stream processed by the effect (I may have the L/R reversed, I don't have my stuff handy). I've managed to sucessfully use this to duck vocals, but its not really an effective way to de-ess a vocal or anything else that benefits from real time adjustment of the sidechain input.