RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Wiring a monitor as a kick mic.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Dub
ass engineer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

So I have a couple of questions about this. Seems like lots of people are doing it. I tried it myself and was overcome, with the horrific noise levels.

I tried running unshielded twisted pair to the +ve and -ve terminals on the monitor, then connected it to the hot and cold on one of my mic channels. Being unshielded it picked up way to much noise. So;

1. Do I wire it up via the connectors with shielded wire and just leave the shield unhooked at the speaker end?
2. Should I bypass the crossover and make connections directly to the woofer?

I was thinking if I liked it, I had a spare woofer I could just mount in a box and put a male XLR on it so I can just hook it up like any other mic.

Anyone have opinions?
earth tones
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

If you use shielded wire, you solder the shield with the (-) cable lead to the (-) terminal on the speaker.
earth tones
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

I would bypass the crossover. The speaker will not pick up high frequencies anyways, due to the size of it's diaphram and the inability for the low energy of higher frequencies to vibrate it at higher revolutions per unit time..
drumsound
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

I wired a woofer to a 1/4" male and use a DI from there.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

drumsound wrote:
I wired a woofer to a 1/4" male and use a DI from there.

wow, that's like 8 ohms into around 1,000,000 ohms. talk about an impedance difference. heck, if it sounds good.
Uncle Dub
ass engineer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

cetanorak wrote:
If you use shielded wire, you solder the shield with the (-) cable lead to the (-) terminal on the speaker.
Would you not be able to consider the woofer, like a capsule to be a balanced source?
lars savage
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring a monitor as a kick mic. Reply with quote

I'd think you'd be OK if, as you suggested, you left shield lifted at the speaker but landed it at the console. As long as it sees ground at one end, the noise it intercepts will drain to ground and stay out of your signal. The only reason why shield is always landed at both ends in a mic cable is that condenser mics need ground to reference +/- 48v which is travelling on the pair... Bypassing the crossover would definitley be a good thing too, as the inductors in a typical passive crossover would probably pick up some noise in such a low level scenario. Anybody ever gotten this to sound good? I've been meaning to try it myself...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: