RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assfortress
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

im excited to finally try some of these things out as i have finnally found a vst plugin with a sidechain feature.
cgarges
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

psychicoctopus wrote:
Any Portishead fans? Their drum sounds on the albums are unique. I could be wrong, but it seems like they're using sidechain compression on the drum reverb. The inrush of 'verb after the drum hits sounds like the drum reverb is run through a fast attack, slow release compressor keyed off of the drums. Anybody know the details?

Are you sure it's not just predelay on the drum 'verb?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
antilog
george martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

assfortress wrote:
im excited to finally try some of these things out as i have finnally found a vst plugin with a sidechain feature.

i don't believe you. why don't you share it with us? Wink

db-D dynamics processor has one

http://www.electronmedia.org
http://www.antilog.org
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

cgarges wrote:
psychicoctopus wrote:
Any Portishead fans? Their drum sounds on the albums are unique. I could be wrong, but it seems like they're using sidechain compression on the drum reverb. The inrush of 'verb after the drum hits sounds like the drum reverb is run through a fast attack, slow release compressor keyed off of the drums. Anybody know the details?

I always figured there was reverb on the sample, so when they compressed it as heavily as they do the verb comes right up in the drum mix. Especially as on the first record a lot of those samples were from other recordings (as apposed to the ones they made themselves for later records), so they would've definately had some sort of reveb or room sound on them.

rigsbysmith.com
exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

Any vst or dx plugins that have a sidechain feature?
assfortress
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

antilog wrote:
assfortress wrote:

i don't believe you. why don't you share it with us? Wink

db-D dynamics processor has one

thats actually what i was thinkg about. sorry. im excited because i finally got off my ass and downloaded a DX -> vst wrapper and bought that db-D. it takes up a little more of my cpu because of the wrapper i think. I could never find a vst compressor with a sidechain. So if anyone realy knows of one feel free to post it.
trodden
on a wing and a prayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

Here is another example..

I side chain your mom, that way she pumps along to the kick and snare.
psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

cgarges wrote:
psychicoctopus wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

That would be a more straightforward solution. I need to listen again but a girl took my copy of 'Dummy'. Rats!
audioez
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd have to say on the live portishead album, it sounds live a huge reverb with about 150msec of pre delay as my buddy Cman suggests in a previous post. As for all this sidechain bs Wink I don't know about you guys...but I sum the drums and bass to a 2 channel comp, no sidechains, bells or whisltes. And for rock/pop vocals Razz if you're in a studio with a 1176, patch it up on the vocal and press all the ratio buttons in(don't let the tech see you do this as it sends the VU into a siezure). But Oh My G_D!!! sounds like the radio
joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: I hate to admit it: I don't understand sidechains. Reply with quote

trodden wrote:
Here is another example..

I side chain your mom, that way she pumps along to the kick and snare.

ZZZZZZ ZANG!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: