RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Random bursts of noise on my HD24

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan K
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Hey, everybody.

I've been a lurker on this board for a few years now and have always found helpful suggestions and answers to some of the problems I've had, but I can't seem to find any thing on the board about my current problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have an Alesis HD24. I take it with me to all sorts of locations to record in. When I come back home and plug it all back in, I often get random bursts of noise on some of my tracks. It usually starts with one track, but when I stop, rewind or fast forward, more and more tracks become affected. I shut her down and leave it for awhile, remove the caddy and put it back in. This usually fixes the problem. I'm happy when it fixes itself, but what I want to know is why it could be doing this in the first place. When I'm using the RADAR I use the Seagate Barracuda drives, but I've had major problems with those drives in my HD24, so I use slower Western Digital drives in the HD24, without any problems UNTIL I take my HD24 somewhere else to record in, and then bring it back to my place. Could this be something to due with the power? Or the seating of my hard drive? Because the caddy's for the HD24 don't lock into place as well as RADAR drives, I can see how it could not be seated properly sometimes, but I always remove the drive when transporting the HD24.

Anyways, I hope I've provided enough information for somebody to shed some light on about this.

Thanks,
Jordan
bigtoe
deaf.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

sure hope that doesn't happen on mine i just got...have you checked out the HD forum on yahoo?

Mike
deadair
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

i would email alesis. i recently did for the first time about my hd24 and their support guy has been really nice and helpful.
bluntphunk
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

although i havent used the hd24, the same thing would happen with the tascam mx2424's that i have used. it happened to be an output card that was damaged by crappy power, and brown-outs.
The Real MC
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Sounds like a flakey hard drive. None of them like sudden shock impact so you're doing the right thing removing the caddy before carting the HD24, just make sure the caddy is well padded and travels gingerly, and I mean on the front seat of your car furthest away from any car axels where the bumps from the road are felt hardest.

They don't like temperature extremes either, keep them at room temp as best as you can.

It does sound like your hard drive developed some bad sectors.
Wild Bill
pushin' record

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

bluntphunk wrote:
although i havent used the hd24, the same thing would happen with the tascam mx2424's that i have used. it happened to be an output card that was damaged by crappy power, and brown-outs.

Ouch!!! I hope it wasn't the A/D board. At $1,700.oo per that would hurt a lot!!! Note to self, get a small UPS for mobile recording.
kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Are you doing the full formatting, or just the quickie?
Jordan K
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote:
Are you doing the full formatting, or just the quickie?

I'm doing the full format everytime. The quick format is bogus. bogus man.

Quote:
sure hope that doesn't happen on mine i just got...have you checked out the HD forum on yahoo?

I didn't know there was a HD forum on yahoo, i'll check it out, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, for you guys with HD's, what hard drives are you using?
I'm gonna get in contact with Alesis and see what they can do about it.

Thanks again,
Jordan
parlormusic
pushin' record

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

I have the HD24. There are a few things to look for.

1) Be sure that you have screws to hold the HDD in place making contact with the metal tabs on the outside of the caddy. This is your ground.

2) I use Seagate 7200RPM drives without problems.

3) There is also a known issue with live recordings & vibrations. Keep the unit far enough away from the mains or stage monitors.

4) Open the case and re-seat all of your connections.

5) Always use a UPS, or at least a decent power conditioner.

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395
kayagum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Another thing... you may want to double check to make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade. Check out the support page at alesis.
Jordan K
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Be sure that you have screws to hold the HDD in place making contact with the metal tabs on the outside of the caddy. This is your ground.

Oh! after taking a look at my caddy I noticed that one of the metal tabs is missing! It must have fallen off during transportation or something. Ok.

Quote:
2) I use Seagate 7200RPM drives without problems.

For some reason the Seagate 7200 drives give me nothing but problems.
I was recording a choir in a church, pop in the seagate and it quit 5 minutes in. pop in the western digital and no problems. both were full-formatted prior.

Anyway, I'm gonna look for that metal tab.

Thanks guys,
Jordan
kayagum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Did that work? I'm sure inquiring HD24 owners want to know...
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

Shiza !!!

I just bought a 200 Gig. Seagate Barricuda drive. I those were supposed to be the best.

Havn't tried it out yet though. Anybody else have problems with the Seagates?
parlormusic
pushin' record

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

honkyjonk wrote:
Shiza !!!

I just bought a 200 Gig. Seagate Barricuda drive. I those were supposed to be the best.

No problems here. I use two 120GB Seagates in my HD24 and another in my PC for backups. They're all 2 years old and not one problem.

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395
heylow
george martin
http://www.heylowsoundsystem.net/dt-2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Random bursts of noise on my HD24 Reply with quote

honkyjonk wrote:
Shiza !!!

Actually, it's the Seagate Barracudas that I DON'T have problems with....some Western Digitals have given me strife though.

heylow
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: