Allright you geniuses, can you help me on this one?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
schnozzle
buyin' gear

Allright you geniuses, can you help me on this one?

Post by schnozzle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:51 pm

Okay, I recently acquired this for cheap:

It's a Uher 4000 Report-S, and all of the functions I've tested so far (playback and record, via the mic input) work. But I'm having trouble identifying some of the controls--if anyone can decipher German (or can wager a good guess) can you clue me in?

Here's the front control panel. "Lautstarke" means volume, "Ton" is tone, but what is "Aussteuerung?" Can't figure that one out. By the way, the rotary selector next to the mic input switches between "phono," "radio," and "mic" inputs...some merciful former owner labeled those in english.

On the side there are 3 jacks; "radio/phono" is obvious (I assume this is the line-level input, or at least at the radio setting?). My guess is that "Lautspr. Kopfh." is some kind of extension socket for the internal speaker. I have no idea what the triangle is. Any ideas on that one? I hope one of these is for a pair of headphones...the deck does have seperate playback & record heads, so I assume you can monitor the signal...again, I hope...

Aaaaand, if anybody can clue me in on what kind of jacks those are on the side...I know the "radio / phono" one (and probably the traingle) is some kind of teuchel jack but I dunno about the middle one. If I can figure out what does what I want to start soldering up some adapters (like for xlr and rca things) but I'm not sure what parts to look for.

Thanks everybody.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Re: Allright you geniuses, can you help me on this one?

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Stand back kids...I'll handle this one...

*cue fart noise, and stupid look on face*
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:12 pm

Babel Fish is our friend.

Can't help you with the triangle.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:13 pm

Well, in case it's any help, here's a Google translation of a German page describing an Automatische Aussteuerung VST Plug-In:

"This Plugin offers a dynamic automatic rejection. This is used, in order to hold the admission on a certain level, whereby as a function of the given input the rejection is automatically adapted. That with music to satisfying photographs will hardly lead (the Normalisierer is recommended here), however this Plugin with sprachaufnahmen with very weak signal a good service will do."

sounds like a compressor of some kind?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:31 am

Is that a gear shifter to the far right of the front faceplate?
I hope so.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:16 am

schnozzle wrote:My guess is that "Lautspr. Kopfh." is some kind of extension socket for the internal speaker.
A kind of mono out to a speaker? Is that what you mean? Cos I have a speaker cable with those male plugs on so yeah, I agree that's what it is.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:50 am

Yep, I'm going to go with speaker on that middle output jack as it is the same connector that is used on older Bang & Olufsen equipment. And while I don't speak German, I'm willing to bet you a nickel that "Lautspr." translates to "Loud-speaker". If you can find a local hi-fi that has carried B&O for a long time, or used to carry them (as most B&O dealers have been cut off because the company is running their own stores now) they may have spare parts for all of those connectors. I know that we had a little box full of them at the hi-fi store I worked at two years ago, even though we hadn't sold them since 1998. Check the yellow pages and call the snooty hi-fi places.

The connector on the right with the triangle is probably a power input for a wall wart supply. I'm not absolutely certain, but it seems like a good guess. If it were an output, it would probably be labeled with text to distinguish from the speaker out, and it would probably be mono. For that matter, the little triangle is also pointing IN to the connector.

And as for the 'Aussteuerung' knob, it translates to "rejection" and that is a news-gathering recorder. I'm going to guess it is something along the lines of a one-knob noise gate, perhaps just a threshold control with a fixed range or perhaps a range that shifts slightly along with the threshold. Turn it to the extreme settings and see if it drops the level sharply around your speech.

And I'm really intrigued by the gear shift. Is that a selection of 4 different tape speeds, or does the "AUS" mean 'ausgang' or output, with the gear-shift set to four different fixed volumes on the output?

-Jeremy

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:01 am

Aussteuerung is noise reduction of some sort.

No idea what the triangle is. I have a Telefunken deck from about the same era (I guess) and it also uses 5 din jacks. Here's the pin listings in case it helps:

Microphone input:
pin 3 free
1 left
4 right
2 ground
5 power supply for additional sets

radio/pickup input:
1 left channel radio
4 right channel raio
2 ground
5 right channel pick-up(tape recorder)
3 left channel pick-up(tape recorder)

radio/pickup output
1 radio recording
4 radio recording
2 ground
5 right channel radio (amplifier)
3 left channel radio (amplifier)

fuck if I know dude. I 'won' it on ebay and the reels wont spin so I've never tested the connections.

will

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:06 am

Professor wrote:And I'm really intrigued by the gear shift. Is that a selection of 4 different tape speeds, or does the "AUS" mean 'ausgang' or output, with the gear-shift set to four different fixed volumes on the output?

-Jeremy
I'm pretty sure it's tape speed in cm instead of inches. said broken telefunken has 19cm(7.5ips) and 9.5cm(3.75ips). wow. 2.4cms would make a nasty tape delay.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:22 am

Excellent, thanks for the responses so far. I can clarify a few things:

-the stick-shift thing is indeed the tape speed selector, and serves also as the 'power-on' switch--that is, the motors don't work until you select a tape speed.

-there is already a power cable running out from the back of the deck (near where the batteries go) and so I don't think the triangle means 'power in.' Unless it has two power inputs, I suppose that's possible, but...

Basically I'm trying to figure out:
-Is there a line-level output?
-Is there a headphone jack?

If this was indeed designed for news gatherers I'd assume there would have to be both. Thanks for the B&O tip, I'll try to see if there's anybody around here who deals in that stuff.

Any more ideas are appreciated.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:55 am

Oh yeah--I found this info on a Uher 1200 deck:
Uher 1200 Report

Portable 2 track ?" open reel tape recorder
Maximum spool size 5"
2 mic inputs (DIN3 lockable)
Line input (4mm banana) 600 Ohms
Outputs: line level (DIN5), speaker (DIN2)
So is one of these for a banana plug? That doesn't seem to correspond with what I'm looking at, I dunno.

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by oobedoob » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 am

schnozzle wrote: "Lautspr. Kopfh."
This implies head loudspeaker = headphones?

Lautsprecher Kopf-somethingorother
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:58 am

Oh yeah..."kopf" does mean "head," doesn't it?

Could that be some kind of banana plug jack? Or something more obscure?