RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Favorite Bad Recordings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nipsy
pushin' record

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

dwlb wrote:
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "American Girl."

c'mon now.......
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

nipsy wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "American Girl."

c'mon now.......

No, really, I do love that song but think the mix sounds kinda small and carboard-y. That's all.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

iwokojance wrote:
All of Ween's early albums. God Satan, The Pod, Pure Guava...

+1 Brotha. Praise the Boognish
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

Nik Kershaw - The Riddle (LP)

I would normally hate the production, but i loved this record as a kid so i guess it's different than if i heard it first now, the arrangements are actually really good, there are some interesting things going on on that record instrumentally and arrangement-wise. There's a lot more going on than in most pop records then or now. Like i say though, i'd think the production would suck ass if i didn't already love that record from childhood.

rigsbysmith.com
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

Rigsby wrote:
Nik Kershaw - The Riddle (LP)

I would normally hate the production, but i loved this record as a kid so i guess it's different than if i heard it first now, the arrangements are actually really good, there are some interesting things going on on that record instrumentally and arrangement-wise. There's a lot more going on than in most pop records then or now. Like i say though, i'd think the production would suck ass if i didn't already love that record from childhood.

That and "Human Racing." Very '80s production, but there is an awful lot going on...and most of it is cool, or at least original. How about that chipmunk countoff and backup vocals in "Gone To Pieces." Some really nice gated guitar and different ambiences as well. The "save the whales" tune is pants though.

A good observation, that you'd likely hate the production if you hadn't grown up hearing and liking it. I think that happens a lot.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Bad Recordings? Reply with quote

Yeah, see that's actually a case in point as i don't much like human racing save the singles and the singles were the only things from that record that i listened to as a kid, so maybe the production is irrelevant to me only due to that reason. He did have some good ideas though, and definately went a fair way further musically than a lot of his contemporaries.

rigsbysmith.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: