Mystery Mic, EV found on the cheap...any idea???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ieatonlyshelfish
studio intern

Mystery Mic, EV found on the cheap...any idea???

Post by ieatonlyshelfish » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:03 am

Hello all -
I've been counting the days until the board would be back up...glad to be back.
anyways, i went to some pawn shop today, and i got two mics on the cheap (or at least im hoping). I got an ElectroVoice CS15e (looks like a small diaphragm condenser? it says "cardioid condenser element" on it) and an unmarked microphone. First of all, has anyone used, or have any insight or suggestions for the EV mic??? Second of all, the other mic i got has a weird connector which looks like this -----> -0- (a hole with a line through the middle). Any info on this type of connector?? The mic seems like a dynamic to me, but i could be wrong. It has a switch, but the plate is missing, and i am guessing this is where the info used to be. Could i "hot rod" this thing??? Anybody got anything?? heh...

ieatonlyshelfish
studio intern

Post by ieatonlyshelfish » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:53 am

OK, so sorry if my description was vague or insufficient. I just got some pictures up of the mic i was talking about, if it helps.

http://www.geocities.com/spacestationzero2002/mic1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/spacestationzero2002/mic2.jpg

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:27 pm

those pictures you linked are the same mic, yes? It's also an EV. I have a pair at home. They are dynamic high impedence units. Kinda thin sounding in general, but they have a pronounced proximity effect. The high-Z nature makes 'em cool for plugging into stomp boxes and guitar amps for effected fun with vocals or horns. I'm at work and don't recall the specifics of the connector. I'll try to get back to you on exactly what it looks like and if you could rig something. I'm recalling a rod of specific diameter and length that fits the hole in the base of the mic, and the ground is established through the threaded connection. I think...I'll check...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??