computer specs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

xonlocust
tinnitus

computer specs

Post by xonlocust » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:54 pm

whoa. new board. i feel like it's been ages, yet no time at all...

in the time since the board went down, i got a motu 828mk ii and right now am running it on my girflriends mac w/audiodesk. i have digital performer coming. my question is this, what type of mac do i need to get to support the following:

a) do basic session to tape, and capture 24tks audio (using 2 borrowed 828s)
b) take computer home for ODs etc and then support 24tks playback etc

this may be a little vague i know, but i'd like to create an environment where i can do basics at my regular studios, then also work at home. and i'm not sure if i need the latest and greatest, or maybe last years model on ebay or something.

i assume i'll have to get a dedicated firewire drive for sessions anyway, so HD space isnt really a consideration is it? basically processor speed and ram right?

thx in advance.

nick

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:03 pm

I am sure you could get a Mac g4 used from anywhere from 800-2000. I would at least get a 1.0 ghz processor, 80gb of memory and 512 RAM.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:22 am

i'll be selling my less than 6 month old g4 1.67MHz 15" powerbook this week. that'll get you there. 1G or ram, dvd burner, all that crap. still under warranty. i'll keep it loaded with software too. i haven't figured out the starting price yet. gonna check out what they're flying for on eBay.