Sound leakage/treatment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Sound leakage/treatment

Post by gravy boat » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:45 am

I know that serious soundtreatment=big bucks, what are the most bang-for-the-buck fixes? I am branch manager of the Paul Green School of Rock Music here in Austin. Our building is a newer light-industiral structure. Masonary outside walls with a drop ceiling. The walls don't go all the way to the roof, over the drop ceiling is common space for the whole building. Half of the space is divided into small offices which we use for lesson rooms. The drum room is at one end, but the drum sounds resonate throughout the building. I've researched sound blocking acoustical tiles but they are really expensive and probably ineffective since there are several light fixtures in the ceiling as well as ac ducts and intercom/muzak speakers. Any ideas? It's looking like I need to build another ceiling to seal this one. I'm not sure my landlord will go along with that.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Not an expert, but here is my opinion anyway

Post by stompforfuzz » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:28 pm

Sounds like since you can't alter the structure, so you need to build a room within this room. So, instead of installing acoustic tiles in the existing ceiling, build a frame to accept the tiles without actually attaching anything to the existing walls or ceiling. Since no contact would exist in the ceilings or walls, less sound would be transmitted.

Like this -

http://www.soundsuckers.com/8x10.htm#8x10

I would reccomend something for ventilation too - something passive with no fans of course (unless there are super quiet type devices out there)

here is something that seems appropriate

http://www.soundsuckers.com/vents.htm#vents

I don't know about this particular company, I just grabbed the first thing I saw that had some pictures to illustrate what I was talking about. I have a feeling you could build something that would be effective enough on your own - or perhaps buying pre-fab like this would be within your budget.
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:41 pm

stompforfuzz wrote: I don't know about this particular company, I just grabbed the first thing I saw that had some pictures to illustrate what I was talking about. I have a feeling you could build something that would be effective enough on your own - or perhaps buying pre-fab like this would be within your budget.
I haven't got any experience with this company either, but the 'whisper-room' style units I've used have been fucking horrible. The only effective portable booths I've used have been in the $15k range: not exactly bang for buck.

Unfortunatlely, apart from putting in sheet rock, there isn't much that is all that effective. Have you got the drums on a isolating riser? What about using softer sticks? Even some gobos might help, though it sounds like the open ceiling is your biggest problem.

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I know there is no easy or cheap way to do this. The culprit is the ceiling/roof configuration. We have a long-term lease but the landlord prefers modifications that are easily undone. Maybe a shitload of insulation on top of the drop ceiling will help.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Gravy

It is possible to build a multi-layer drywall ceiling that hangs just like the suspended ceiling does; most DW contractors could give you a bid for a "hard-lid" ceiling, which will be the best bang for the buck to stop low freq. stuff, and you landlord gets a rentable room when you leave. It's done in commercial construction often.

Is there room to build a "room-in-a-room" booth inside the existing drum room? Maybe if you took down the susp. ceiling you could have enough height to frame your own wall, then put ceiling joists across these new walls and hang your own rock.

Mass (=drywall, more layers the better) is really the only way to quiet that stuff down; I don't think insulation will help much with kickdrums. Good door seals will help some, too.

Frank