shouldn't "recording techiniques" be the first for

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

trashy
dead but not forgotten

shouldn't "recording techiniques" be the first for

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:41 am

it's like third or something. seeing as how "It is our hope that this board and its forums reflect your desire to learn more about the art of recording and to also share the knowledge that you have with others" it would make more sense - and be way more user friendly - if it was at the top of the list.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:25 pm

I forgot to read the post. Hold on I'll brb.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:21 am

Uh, the magazine and TapeOpCon are first because that's why the board is here, because we do a magazine and conference. Priorities...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: shouldn't "recording techiniques" be the first

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:48 am

trashy wrote:it's like third or something. seeing as how "It is our hope that this board and its forums reflect your desire to learn more about the art of recording and to also share the knowledge that you have with others" it would make more sense - and be way more user friendly - if it was at the top of the list.
er, the categories are like an inch apart. Why does it matter what order they're in?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Uh, the magazine and TapeOpCon are first because that's why the board is here, because we do a magazine and conference. Priorities...
the board is here for customer support for the magazine and to advertise the conference. Okay, that's cool. I was just going by the mission statement, which states: "It is our hope that this board and its forums reflect your desire to learn more about the art of recording and to also share the knowledge that you have with other" Maybe you should revise the mission statement.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:05 am

dwlb wrote:
trashy wrote:it's like third or something. seeing as how "It is our hope that this board and its forums reflect your desire to learn more about the art of recording and to also share the knowledge that you have with others" it would make more sense - and be way more user friendly - if it was at the top of the list.
er, the categories are like an inch apart. Why does it matter what order they're in?
because it just does. It was our experience over on the board that shall not be named that the forums that were first got the most traffic. And now that tomb has eleventeen forums it makes it harder to find the forum you want.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:16 am

trashy wrote:
dwlb wrote:
because it just does. It was our experience over on the board that shall not be named that the forums that were first got the most traffic. And now that tomb has eleventeen forums it makes it harder to find the forum you want.
actually, the way the archives are listed are in the order of number of posts (highest to lowest). notice that they aren't in the order that they were when the tomb v3 lived.

i don't think the order is that urgent but i think the mag and the con should be at the top.

:mrpink: hillary

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm

"the board is here for customer support for the magazine and to advertise the conference"

I didn't word it that way Trashy. The fact is there would be no TOMB if not for Tape Op Magazine and TapeOpCon. We don't have to host a website but I think there is a value in doing so.

I'm super excited to have the board back up, and I hope it shows. It sucks playing policeman, and the fact that within hours my mag forum was full of total BS really bummed me out. It should be obvious that my time is better spent editing the mag and making albums... But I will be here I promise!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:18 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:"the board is here for customer support for the magazine and to advertise the conference"

I didn't word it that way Trashy.
no, no; I didn't mean that to come out that way. That's why I said "that's cool". It's your forum - make it however you want. It's just that your mission statement doesn't reflect your stated purposes here on the board. The mission statement doesn't even mention tapeopcon, and only mentions the mag once. If that's what the forum's about, then cool. Say that.

I'm sure you could care less, but I would put the recording forum first because that's really what this board is all about. Without recording, none of us would be here. The board is not about the magazine or tapeopcon. And even if it was about the magazine or the conference, those things are about recording, and so recording should go first. Without recording, tapeop and tapeopcon would exist. If you get people interested in recording - or more interested in recording - they will be more likely to check the mag or the conference.

But, really, whatever. The suggestions are just suggestions, and -like I said- this is your place and you can do whatever you want. There's no need to get defensive about suggestions - just tell us what you are doing, what you are going to do, and why.

Or don't.