Gates Solid Statesman

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bradb
pushin' record

Gates Solid Statesman

Post by bradb » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 am

Among a MILLION other things I got while the board was down was a gates solid statesman. I read that they were really gritty and good for guitars, but I tried mine on kick drum and was blown away. It gave the kick a definity hit to the chest quality that was so cool.

definitly a rad piece.

speaking of compressors, whenever I get a new one, I run it thru some different program material to kind of characterize the compressor it in my mind. Vocals seem to bring out the dynamics of the comp, bass and kick seem to uncover the thickening agent and drum bus seems to show the distortion characteristic...

maybe i'm weird..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:22 am

Did you have to do anything to that gates to make it good?

I tried one of those a long time ago, and though I love the color beige, I didnt wind up totally loving it.

Is it worth the money you spent on it? does it seem like a nightmare to work on?

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 am

Nope, right out of the box. Oddly in the ebay posting the seller said that when he tested it, it was rolling off in the low frequencies... i thought this was just due to some kind of impedance mismatch with the unit and his meter....I just jumped on it.. i got it for something like $100... not bad. I haven't done anything to it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:33 am

Interesting that the solid statesman is listed as having "pre-emphasis" for broadcast.

"a wide band peak limiter with pre-emphasis." Does the top end sound Companded?

That would be really cool.... especially for heavy guitars... Like what the audimax does to rock guitar.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Yeah, I had one in my old space and found it to be ridiculously bright. However I'm pretty sure my partner had the tails wired up wrong somewhere. That would explain the sellers confusion. Anyway, I still used the hell out of it on snare (multed one side through the statesman and one site low passed and through a RNC). It made snares crack like you wouldn't believe.

-marc

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:40 pm

Brad brought this thing by.... I am SO gonna rock it on the mix tomorrow.
I am in the middle of mixing a record for Bloodshot records, by a band called "cordero."

Lets see where the gates solid statesman finds itself.....

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:31 pm

joel hamilton wrote: Like what the audimax does to rock guitar.
which of the audimaxes are good for rock guitar? i picked up one and haven't gotten to use it yet. (i'm at school; it's at home).