Phono pres as bass boosters/crunchers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Phono pres as bass boosters/crunchers?

Post by Disasteradio » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:13 pm

ahoy! I've been running my live rig through a cheesy Q-Tek DJ mixer and I had the bass synth running accidentally into a phono channel, it sounded pretty awesome.. anyone ever used this at mixdown to make kicks and stuff mega boom boom or is this a stupid idea?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:08 pm

I used the tape head input on an old Macintosh preamp thingy my studio partner has to destroy some drums. the EQ was pretty awesome on that thing: Bass, and Treble.

Sounded like it would sound in my old italian aunts living room, only distorted and angry....
(i dont know what that means, but i pictured dark orange shag carpeting and the smell of salem 100's and bloody mary mix).

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:41 pm

whatever works. if you can find uses for stuff you have lying around, that just means that you can know use it as gear, instead of just some random amp lying around.

kudos on the find.

also...disasterradio reminded me that before i had PA when i was 15 or something i used a stero amp to amplify the mic. and i would plug in the mic through the phono section. which leads me to the question.

has any one tried running a turntable through a mic preamp? btw...i don't know how good or bad this would be, but im thinking not that bad...not that bad...considering that a turntable has a very low output.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:05 pm

xSALx wrote:whatever works. if you can find uses for stuff you have lying around, that just means that you can know use it as gear, instead of just some random amp lying around.

kudos on the find.

also...disasterradio reminded me that before i had PA when i was 15 or something i used a stero amp to amplify the mic. and i would plug in the mic through the phono section. which leads me to the question.

has any one tried running a turntable through a mic preamp? btw...i don't know how good or bad this would be, but im thinking not that bad...not that bad...considering that a turntable has a very low output.
I used a mic pre on an old caliphone record player to use the whole thing as a MIC!

The tonearm is so microphonic, and it made the WRONG-EST sound like a bell/plate verb/trash can exploding/anvil hit/ VERY unhappy electronics type sound every time the snare was hit. The needle was just sitting on the metal platter, and then i gained it up like crazy through a high gain pre into a really burly collins compressor that is almost a mic pre on its own... That made an UNRULY sound....