Engineer titles in a new studio....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

PeaveyOwnz
audio school

Engineer titles in a new studio....

Post by PeaveyOwnz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:08 pm

So hear is the story: A few months ago I opened a studio with a friend of mine. At that time I also met an engineer that was new to town who has much more experience and credits then either my friend or I. When he found out that I was starting a studio he wanted to come over and check it out, he liked the rooms and wanted to help with the wiring and wanted to bring over some of his gear to do some projects. He has brought in some projects and I have learned much from working with him.

Now a few months have passed and I have found my self in a dilemma. With out asking me or my business partner he has stared to call him self the "Chief Engineer/Producer" at my studio. When he approaches clients he introduces him self as such.

So hear is the issue: I know that he is the better engineer of the 3 of us and I am lucky that he is spending his time at my studio. However I feel like his use of the "chief engineer" title is going to hurt my ability to get clients. On on occasion he has spoke to a client that I had been talking to in the past and then booked them. I am sure that I could have also brought in that client on my own. I am afraid that it will confuse potential clients when I approach them.

So what should I do? I don't want him to not work at the studio any more as I respect him and his work, at the same time I did not open my studio just to start a business, I want to be engineering records. Should I tell him to stop using the title?

Thanks in advance.

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:46 am

this guy sounds kinda sleazy. even if he's teaching you a ton and helping you out, he has no business giving himself that title if the owners haven't given him their blessing. if he's not involved in the ownership of the studio, you can do anything you please. be honest with the guy and tell him it creeps you out a bit that he's throwing the title around and stealing your thunder. if it ruins your relationship, then he's a douchbag and you're in the same position you initially thought you'd be in. that's my two cents.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:21 am

Keep it light, but let him know you don't like it. Don't come out of a bag at him, just say with a warm smile on your face 'chief engineer eh? you cheeky sod' or something to that effect, it's not worth getting on his case if you want to keep him around, just make your point in the lightest way possible.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:41 am

Maybe it's time to put out an "official" brochure for your place and list who is who and what is what, and all of you are listed as "co-equal chief engineers" or actually you are the chief enginner and he's First Most Honorable Assistant or something.

Might not be a congenital douchebag, just an eager, agressive guy who's taking up the reins even though technically it ain't his stagecoach.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net