vocal de-essing (as an effect)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

vocal de-essing (as an effect)?

Post by snuffinthepunk » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Not so much as an effect, but...well...

So yesterday I'm on the road listening to Chevelle's "Wonder What's Next" album and I always noticed it before but never thought about it from a mix standpoint. The sibilance is a lil more prominent on that album than I'm used to, but as it is with the music I didn't notice that it actually adds to the emotion of the lyrics and the singer's performance.

So I was just wondering how many of you take this into account when you're de-essing and anything else you might have to add would be appreciated.

J
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:54 pm

I've very rarely de-essed in my life, but then I've mostly recorded myself, and I know how to sing past the mic.

As I think about it, however, It occurs to me that I have used a similar technique and actually sang into the mic when I had something very intense that I wanted to convey.

I've found that my (decidely untrained) voice sounds best mildly driven like a blues-harp or a saturated guitar. Not distorted, just driven.

I've also decided lately that in terms of effects, less is more. (Welcome back to TOMB. Hah!)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 pm

De-essers are really easy to over do and make things sound "off." Sometimes it?s the things that it takes away that make the lyrics intelligible.