Music

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:55 am

Another vote for Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings.

She is my absolute favourite songwriter that's not over 65 or dead.

Go see them! Buy all their albums!

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:05 am

GrimmBrotherScott wrote:I think there is a ton of great music out there. Have you heard Fountains of Wayne's version of "Baby Hit Me One More Time"? It's a great song, really catchy. I wasn't a huge fan of Britney's version of it, but I'll be damned if it wasn't catchy as all hell too. I can sing all the parts as clearly as I can sing "The Gambler".
Granted. I have a lot of old videos I recorded off the TV in the 80s, and cassettes from old radio. There was definitely a lot of long forgotten crap. What really gets me, though, is the commercials between TV shows. It would be one after another: "Double, Double Your Refreshment..," "I Like The Sprite In You..." And then the Cosby show comes on and the theme music is just as catchy. Its not necessarily just that music isn't as good, but music as a whole is just absent from culture today. Good or bad, the presence of music in pop culture has declined SIGNIFICANTLY. I'm blaming that on music being bad. The local news always had a great audio tag before a news update, now they just have an annoying voice talking over helicopter noises. No more music. ANd this isn't just one station. The music is just gone. That's a big indicator of where this industry really is right now.

Gabe
audio school graduate

Post by Gabe » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:31 pm

I think the most important thing to keep in mind in todays world is that the personal mp3 player and the internet have made listening to music a completely intimate event. When people want to find music that they like, they don't turn to their radio; they seek out the band they want through the internet. This is part of the reason that independent bands are beginning to sell half a million records and with out a major label contract. People are finding music just for them, searching for that intimate relationship. I think song writing has changed along with this movement. Artists are playing to their specialized audiences creating hyper unique sounds that don't necessarily appeal to the masses. Can a band today ever develop a universal sound and get as big as the bands from the 60's?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:54 pm

Gabe wrote:I think the most important thing to keep in mind in todays world is that the personal mp3 player and the internet have made listening to music a completely intimate event. When people want to find music that they like, they don't turn to their radio; they seek out the band they want through the internet. This is part of the reason that independent bands are beginning to sell half a million records and with out a major label contract. People are finding music just for them, searching for that intimate relationship. I think song writing has changed along with this movement. Artists are playing to their specialized audiences creating hyper unique sounds that don't necessarily appeal to the masses. Can a band today ever develop a universal sound and get as big as the bands from the 60's?
Well said.

And, to answer the question, yes. Well, maybe.
beware bee wear