Hammond tube pre vs. solid state Trek 2

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Hammond tube pre vs. solid state Trek 2

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:23 pm

I just picked up a '64 C3 and it has a Trek 2 preamp replacing the original tube unit. Any Hammond players that have used a Trek 2 preamp, I'd like to hear your view on them. It seems to me that the Trek 2 will make the hammond more reliable, but does this kill the Hammond sound (whatever that is)? I will be using either a Leslie 145 or 147. Any thoughts would be cool. thanks
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:19 pm

when you get your hands on it (you don't have it yet do you?)
you'll know for yourself..
lotta older hammond guys (blues band dorks) love those pre's
i think the older amps are sooo crazy expensive that you might as well try it with the trek and save your pennies for a replacement if you find i lacking.....
quite a bit of the sound will be coming from the amp in the leslie...
when those are cranked you'll be able to tell if the pre sucks...

i don't have a hammond anymore...(don't ask) but they are of course the ultimate keyboard.....i'd take one over a minimoog anyday...
needless to say i'm very jealous of that big a$$ C3
have fun with it.....

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:05 am

As far as reliability, I've had my 1958 B3 since 1998 and I have never had a problem with the original tube pre-amp. It has the original tubes, I haul it aroudn to gigs (2-4 a week) and have never had any issues. Keep in mind that the pre-amp is not pushing those tubes at all, so they should last for a long time.

Concerning the sound, the Trek II is a good unit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a friend that has one and his organ sounds fine. Is it different than the tube? Of course, but all Hammonds sound different anyway. As long as it has punch and some balls, it's good in my book.

r0ck1r0ck2 is partly right when he says that most of the sound is in the Leslie. I say partly because you can hook the same Leslie up to different Hammonds and they will all sound different. I have four console Hammonds (C2, CV, BCV, and B3) and two M3s, so I've done this. The same Leslie will sound markedly different on different Hammonds.

However, one thing you can do to "sculpt" the sound of the organ and Leslie combination is play with the 12au7 inside that 145/147. Try swapping it out with other 12au7's or even 12at7s or 12ax7s. Each tube will be different.

Keep in mind that a 147 amp (and a 122 for that matter) have two 12au7s in it. If you're looking at the amp as it is installed in the Leslie, the tube that is the preamp tube is the one of the right. The one of the left is used for switching the motor speed.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:12 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll swap that leslie tube and listen for the change. I have a 145 and a 147, and they sound differrent, but it will be fun changing them up even more...The C3 does sound nice, so the trek 2 unit must be fine... Now I just need to get rid of an E100 to make room. Thanks for your thoughts!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:16 pm

i'll send you some cardboard and a couple of stamps....
you can mail it to me...
no problem....