Paul Motian

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Paul Motian

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:20 pm

Been listening to the new Paul Motian album with Joe Lovano and Bil Frisell. How crap does that thing sound good. I'm just convinved that someday people are gonna recognize what total geniuses James Farber and Joe Ferla are (Farber did this one). Those guys are two of the baddest guys recording audio of our time. This record is unbelieveable-sounding. Kudos to ECM and Manfred Eischer again. I know I'll probably never find out crap about how it was done and I'll never have the ears that James Farber does, but I'd love to know details. Performances and writing aside (it's a DEEP album), it's an astounding piece of work. Even people who aren't jazz fans would have an appreciation for the imaging captured on the guitar sounds.

I haven't had the sound of a record affect me like this in a while. Any one else heard it?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:20 am

that's one of my favorite bands, that trio... i try to catch them at the vangaurd whenever they play. so amazing. and yeah... ferla and farber and AMAZING. the brad mehldau trio stuff blows my mind, as well.

yay jazz.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:18 pm

I listened to this again tonight at the studio. Wow. Just wow. If I ever got drum sounds like that JUST ONCE--even by accident--I'd be one bad MF.

By the way, Paul Motian played drums on the upcoming Frank Kimbrough record. I'm sure that will not suck.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC