HDR's and getting out of the Box

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chester P
audio school

HDR's and getting out of the Box

Post by Chester P » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Last night I had more crashing on my computer system. Somehow it seems to know when I like something and that is its cue to crash and loose work, not to mention the vibe! SOOOO I was wondering if any of you fine folks use the Mackie HDR? I would love to get a RADAR but, a little out of my price range. I am thinking just go back and get an analog mixer and a HDR and not worry about crashing. I will use Logic as a sound generator. I just want to play not reboot. My ADAT makes too much noise to be in the same room as the mics and me.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:36 pm

I've been using a Mackie MDR 2496 and have been happy with it overall. I use it just like a tape machine. It's very simple to use, and sounds pretty good. One of these days I'd like to get into an iZ RADAR system.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:42 pm

Consider also the Alesis HD24. Search the archives for comments.

So far, it's been bulletproof for me.

Regardless, no matter what system you use, BACK IT UP!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:58 pm

Hey...

Are you talking about the Mackie and the Radar because you're still looking for the DAW without the "home computer"? If so, I can't be of help.

If the DAW thing isn't life or death, let me just say that I have been using the Alesis HD24 since it came out and have done both my band's records on it along with a few others. The first record was mixed off of it as well.

It's a great machine...stable as fuck and the converters KILL the Mackie MDR that I had before. Just my 2 cents.

heylow

Chester P
audio school

Post by Chester P » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:31 am

Thanks for the input folks. As far as the Alesis goes, is there much of a difference in the sound of the 96k converters? Also how easy is it to interface with a computer. Say lay down some tracks then go to the DAW to loop then back to the 24HD. Another concern is getting the tracks to stay in sync when you transfer to daw or for backup. Does the Mackie or the Alesis make much noise? I need a solution that allows me to be in the same room as the recorder with live mics up. I like the edit ability of the Mackie but if the 24HD sounds better .... gottat wonder why Mackie does not make the HDR any more. Again thanks for the posts!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 am

Chester P wrote:As far as the Alesis goes, is there much of a difference in the sound of the 96k converters?]
I don't have the 96k, but reviews say that it has slightly better headroom and handles cymbal splashes better. I've been plenty happy with the 24/44.1 setting.
Also how easy is it to interface with a computer. Say lay down some tracks then go to the DAW to loop then back to the 24HD. Another concern is getting the tracks to stay in sync when you transfer to daw or for backup.
Easiest way to transfer between a CPU and the HD24 is to get the Fireport. Undock your drive, dock it into the Fireport, transfer to your heart's content. There is an Ethernet option, but it takes forever and you need to be comfortable with doing your own IP settings.

Does the Mackie or the Alesis make much noise? I need a solution that allows me to be in the same room as the recorder with live mics up. I like the edit ability of the Mackie but if the 24HD sounds better .... gottat wonder why Mackie does not make the HDR any more. Again thanks for the posts!
Again, do a search in the archives. (use "hd24 fan") The stock fan is noisy, but easy to replace with any quiet case fan (I think it's 90mm, but I can't remember exactly)

Hope that helps!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 am

If the problem is computer crashing why not stick with the software you know and just get a computer that is more stable?

I've been using a Dell SC400 server that was optimized for DAW (using the guideline that were posted here under the thread "The Ultimate DAW").
It has been bulletproof. It has not crashed or frozed once in the last 9 months I've had it up. I'm using XP professional running Nuendo with no issues. The thing is dead quiet and the SATA Raptor HDs that were recommended are fast and silent as well.

The Dell was discontinued a while ago but you could probably find one on Ebay for cheap (thats where I got mine). The whole thing will cost you less than getting a new HD recorder.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:58 am

Chester P wrote:Thanks for the input folks. As far as the Alesis goes, is there much of a difference in the sound of the 96k converters?

I have the one with the older converters but I often use a newer one at a local studio. I haven't done any sort of AB test with them....they both sound great. I couldn't tell you one stands out. I don't use 96k on it though....48k sounds great on either machine.

Chester P wrote:Also how easy is it to interface with a computer. Say lay down some tracks then go to the DAW to loop then back to the 24HD. Another concern is getting the tracks to stay in sync when you transfer to daw or for backup.

As stated above, for back up and transferring, just get the FirePort with the Alesis...you'll thank yourself. I don't think I understand the "loopback" thing above....I use mine like a tapedeck....nice and simple.

Chester P wrote:Does the Mackie or the Alesis make much noise? I need a solution that allows me to be in the same room as the recorder with live mics up.

I don't remember the noise on the Mackie. Some folks say the fan on the Alesis is a bit loud and I suppose it might be if I really sit and listen to it, but I have done a handfull of records here and all of them had the HD in the same room and all of them had quieter tracks like acoustic and percussion. It's never gotten in the way. Might be that I'm not a fan of creepy digital silence though....I never mind a bit of noise. :wink:

Chester P wrote:I like the edit ability of the Mackie but if the 24HD sounds better .... gottat wonder why Mackie does not make the HDR any more. Again thanks for the posts!

Yeah, it's all give and take. It would be nice to have visual editing sometimes but the HD does have some crude editing that works for most stuff if you get the hang of it. If you already have a computer, just do editing there...the FirePort makes it a breeze to move tracks around.

heylow

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

yeah

Post by TooLoFi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm

the Mackie is a good machine, minus an investment in TDIF cables, is a pretty good deal too.
going one way down a wrong way street

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:29 pm

heylow wrote:

Chester P wrote:Does the Mackie or the Alesis make much noise? I need a solution that allows me to be in the same room as the recorder with live mics up.

I don't remember the noise on the Mackie.
The Mackie makes alot of noise. You don't want mics in the same room with it.

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

But Seriously

Post by TooLoFi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:12 pm

Out of the box, and into another one.
going one way down a wrong way street