API 525 limiter use

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

API 525 limiter use

Post by soundguy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Anyone here have a lot of experience using API 525 limiters?

whats your take on the function of the ceiling control vs. the threshold control? First off, does it work as advertised, second, is there a noticable advantage to having the threshold and makeup ganged together?

does the lack of an attack control ever get in the way of using this specific limiter?

I havent used one of these enough to really make a deep enough impression one way or another.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:44 pm

The ceiling control is designed to enable you to dial in more compression and the makeup gain will adjust itself simultaneously. This is pretty cool because if you want to experiment with more or less compression on a signal you can quickly see if it sounds better or not without adjusting the output level.

The 525 is one of those compressors with minimal controls (like the LA2a & LA3a) that seems to have been designed by someone who understood what musical characteristics worked best. The lack of attack control is never an issue for me. It usually sounds pretty good. If it doesn't sound right, I just try something else. It definitely has a unique vibe. I like it on vocals, electric guitars and kick drum. The de-eser is a nice plus, though it is pretty subtle.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

retrograde
studio intern

API 525

Post by retrograde » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:06 am

I agree that the minimal controls are not problematic. In addition to vocals, I have great luck with it compressing bass.

Geoff