PT-Automation import/export with audio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

PT-Automation import/export with audio?

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:06 am

Could really use some help here!! I've spent the last two weeks combining tracks, submixing to a rough mix because I've got all 32 tracks filled on the main session (which is max at home and will be able to fly them in when we mix at the other studio which is capable of more than 32 virtual tracks), basically prepping noise/samples/ambience stuff, but I still have some automation written on some of the track and its info that i really really really would like to have the option of changing come final mixing.... mostly, worried because i don't want to take up a lot of time redrawing this stuff, because i've got a lot of info crammed into each track thinking i could save track space that way (example, a stereo track containing drone synth stuff for the first 1:00 of the song but has organ, and then ocean waves later on the program)

IS THERE ANY WAY OF IMPORTING/EXPORTING AUDIO AND ITS AUTOMATION INFO AS WELL????????????????

I've had no luck. I really don't want to commit completely to some of these, the fact being i'm sub mixing to a rough mix.. shit is going to change.. I've got to import these tracks into the main session when we mix since we'll be capable of additional track space., and would really like the automation to go with it... is that possible.. oh.. i'm on protools 5.2.1

thanks for your time,
Brandon

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:30 am

You should be fine. I dunno if it's in 5 or not but 6+ has something called Import Session Data that will import the audio and the automation from a track.

Even so, I'd still print a version with the automation, just cause I'm nervous like that and it's cheaper to do it at home.

Will

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 am

I should be fine? fine with printing the automation? well i'd rather not if possible.

Where would this "import session data" be?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:35 am

trods, check back at the other board for more details on "Import Session Data."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:59 am

are you going to be importing into a version higher than 5.2.1? I'm not familiar with that version but I know it's not a problem with newer releases. You'll want to create a new session with the same parameters and go to the file menu and choose "import session data." Navigate to the drive you're going to get the info from and select the session. The import session data dialog will appear, showing every track in the session. Under the source tracks listing is a drop down titled "Session Data to Import.' Make sure it's set to "all." Above the source tracks listing is a drop down titaled "audio media option" (or somethin like that). Make sure it says "copy" so it'll copy all the audio to your new session folder. At the top right of the dialog is another drop down for timecode mapping options. Just make sure it says to maintain absolute timecode values. That oughta be enough. Select all the tracks and choose to import them as new tracks, hit okay and everything will be copied and imported in with all the automation.

If you're importing into 5.2.1 though I dunno! :P
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:11 am

snuffinthepunk wrote:are you going to be importing into a version higher than 5.2.1? I'm not familiar with that version but I know it's not a problem with newer releases. You'll want to create a new session with the same parameters and go to the file menu and choose "import session data." Navigate to the drive you're going to get the info from and select the session. The import session data dialog will appear, showing every track in the session. Under the source tracks listing is a drop down titled "Session Data to Import.' Make sure it's set to "all." Above the source tracks listing is a drop down titaled "audio media option" (or somethin like that). Make sure it says "copy" so it'll copy all the audio to your new session folder. At the top right of the dialog is another drop down for timecode mapping options. Just make sure it says to maintain absolute timecode values. That oughta be enough. Select all the tracks and choose to import them as new tracks, hit okay and everything will be copied and imported in with all the automation.

Interesting.. i really need to upgrade someday soon. The thing is.. We started out in a higher version in the studio we tracked in. Dumped the tape there, then took the drive to my place to do the rest (on 5.2.1). So we're going back to the same studio to mix... so hopefully the house engineer will be versed enough to bring everything in together, automation and all. thanks for the info though! appreciate it!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:31 am

trodden wrote:
snuffinthepunk wrote:are you going to be importing into a version higher than 5.2.1? I'm not familiar with that version but I know it's not a problem with newer releases. You'll want to create a new session with the same parameters and go to the file menu and choose "import session data." Navigate to the drive you're going to get the info from and select the session. The import session data dialog will appear, showing every track in the session. Under the source tracks listing is a drop down titled "Session Data to Import.' Make sure it's set to "all." Above the source tracks listing is a drop down titaled "audio media option" (or somethin like that). Make sure it says "copy" so it'll copy all the audio to your new session folder. At the top right of the dialog is another drop down for timecode mapping options. Just make sure it says to maintain absolute timecode values. That oughta be enough. Select all the tracks and choose to import them as new tracks, hit okay and everything will be copied and imported in with all the automation.

Interesting.. i really need to upgrade someday soon. The thing is.. We started out in a higher version in the studio we tracked in. Dumped the tape there, then took the drive to my place to do the rest (on 5.2.1). So we're going back to the same studio to mix... so hopefully the house engineer will be versed enough to bring everything in together, automation and all. thanks for the info though! appreciate it!
If he isn't, have him call me. 8)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:27 pm

trodden wrote:I should be fine? fine with printing the automation? well i'd rather not if possible.

Where would this "import session data" be?
it's in the file menu next to 'import audio'. Sorry I didn't explain it. 'should be fine' is will's message board for 'this works but dont blame me if it doesn't'.

import session data will import the audio and any related automation. It's in PT6+ but I dunno if it's 5 or not. I dunno where you're taking it and I dunno if they have 6 or not hence, 'should be fine'.

Will

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:49 am

ok, my LE version of 5.2.1 doesn't have this option. damnit.. so now i hope that the studio we're mixing at does. I've had a few... "i think it will be ok" or "i think we've done it before" so i'm cool. I've got the few major auto-intense things bounced down just in case. i don't really want to stay up all night. Don't really want to go over to DUC either, that place and digi's answer base never works for me.. bunch of crap to wade through.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Ok, final post about this and i'll get on to committment and bounce the stuff down later tonight if i don't hear anything different. The studio is equippd with ProTools 5 on a Mix 3 system. Anyone?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:01 pm

are you engineering the session? if not, why not ask the engineer?

the DUC can be a shit heap but just ask in the TDM forum and you'll get your answer. gotta be easier than all of that bouncing.

Will