any advise on used mixers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

any advise on used mixers?

Post by Harry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:51 am

I'm putting together a rig and I want a 32 channel console at the heart of it.
I'm not rich and I don't really make any money at this so I'm looking at stuff under $2000.

I've seen a few Tascam M3500 32x8 boards that look nice and going cheap.Anyone have any experience with these boards?

Then there's the Mackie 32x8....I've never worked with these but a lot of people seem to hate the shit out of em???????

Anyone got any ideas or input????(or know anyone in the midwest with something that might fit this bill??)
Thanks........(BTW great that this place is back up!!)

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:07 pm

personally i feel like even my soundcraft 600 totally destroys the mackie 32x8 i was working on last. i'm sure the mackie has something ok about it though.
for under $2000, check on search (the board here help me narrow down choices in the same range), there are a million suggestions. soundcraft stuff is pretty solid (you could get a lucky buy on a ghost for that price), people also like amec, studiomaster, and other stuff. if the tascam m3500 has vca automation watch out...a lot of people have problems with that.
Check around, you can definitely make great records on lots of boards for that price.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Save up your money for a Midas Venice. They go for about $3500 for the 32 input, but honestly it is the best sounding small format console I have ever heard. It kicks the crap out of the usual suspects... A former colleague of mine bought one for a FOH rig and when we plugged in a 58 just to mess around and tune the room we both dropped our jaws cause the thing sounded so good. There were many times when I swapped it out for a large format FOH consoles (Yamaha PM3500, Yamaha 4K, Soundcraft Europa) Sound wise it blew the big boys away.

I know it is almost double then what you asked for, I just wanted to chime in about the Venice, if you can demo one you'll understand.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:24 pm

I've got a Soundtracs Topaz, 32*8 channels.. I feel sounds better than the mackie 24*8 i was using before. Paid $900 for it from a fellow tapeopper. Its doing the job!

Harry
re-cappin' neve

where to look(other than eBay)

Post by Harry » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:25 am

Thanks for the input so far!!
eBay
Guitar Center & Seetwater have some cool used stuff.

How about some others??????
Thanks again!