isa428 vs. RNP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

isa428 vs. RNP

Post by joninc » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:38 pm

thoughts?

does the isa428 have any color or is it pretty neutral?

i need some more pres and can't afford to go too boutique with it but i want to be able to get some big sounds. i like the option of the onboard filters and impedance - i don't need the a/d converters.

since i record digital i like a little character on the front end but i could probably use more of a cleaner pre at this point than too much color.

i have used the rnp which i find a little boring.

do they compare quality wise or is one a lot better than the other?

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:17 pm

What sort of music are you mainly doing, joninc? Do you need four pres?

The ISA428 has a bit of color to it. The Lundahl transformers have just a bit of "traction" and give a good, musical quality to the source. Quality-wise I think the is a better general pre than the RNP, but the RNP does have a nice extended airy high-end.

If you want "big" sounds you also should check out the Neve Portico 5012 mic pre. API would be another candidate to consider if you're wanting something more energetic and punchy.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:49 am

i already have a geat river 1mv, a vintech 1272 and a chandler tg2 so at this point i am looking to add more channels and possibly something that is a little cleaner than the above mentioned pres for acoustic sources and a different vocal character but still keeping things fairly big overall.

i do lots of indie rock, singer songwriter stuff, ambient pop ... alt country - fairly mixed bag.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:16 am

IMHO,

There are some great choices in the same price range as the 428. The neve portico, which is all the rage these days sounds really good. Any API box would be a good choice. A millenia two channel thingy would be pretty great...

So many good choices in the 1400- 2k range.

I, too work on a TON of different styles, and the players will make the sounds, not the preamp. Just get something of high quality and go for it!

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 am

joel hamilton wrote:IMHO,

There are some great choices in the same price range as the 428. The neve portico, which is all the rage these days sounds really good. Any API box would be a good choice. A millenia two channel thingy would be pretty great...

So many good choices in the 1400- 2k range.
The ISA 428 is 4 channels, the Portico is 2 channels. Not that the Portico - and many of the other 2-channel pres in the 1400-2K range aren't excellent. but you're talking in the area of $800+ per channel, whereas the ISA 428 is around $400 a channel. Big difference. Plus the ISA 428 can take the optional 8 channel AD card for around $600 - giving 4 channels of great pres and 8 channels of AD in the neighborhood of $2300. That's one of the best deals on the market, IMO.

jon, I think the ISA 428 would complement your Great River ME-1NV, Vintech Dual 72 and Chandler TG2 very well. All your pres have a lot of color to them, and while the ISA 428 does have a touch of color, it's still considerably cleaner than the pres you already have.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews