MS decoding?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

MS decoding?

Post by snuffinthepunk » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:22 pm

I get the concept, that's fine, but i just thought about it in terms of signal flow and somethin doesn't quite register. So first I'll ask this (and if the answer is no I'll ask more later):

When you switch a console into mix mode, does the phase switch apply to both channel and monitor paths? If so, my question is answered. I figured phase was attached to the preamp though, so in mix mode it wouldn't affect the channel path in mix mode.

Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.

J
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:19 pm

it depends on the console, thats the best answer.

the polarity invert SHOULD effect the line input, but youd have to check to be sure. There are no rules when building a console, so... Take a chost for instance, if I remember right the line input ran through the mic pre, so the polarity would work the same.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:18 pm

I have never worked on a console where the "phase" button only affected the mic pre. It affects the input, whether you are in mic or line mode.

Is there a console in the universe that only affects the pre? if so that would be really weird.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:12 am

There are LOTS of consoles where the polarity inverse only works on the mic inputs. On the Ghost, it works on the line input, but not the tape input. That's a very common scenario with less expensive consoles. Some consoles (like APIs) have polarity inverse buttons specifically for the monitor path, which is super cool in my book. It's simple enough to build polarity-inverted cables or put polarity invert points in a patch bay. I'm actually about to head out to the studio where I have an MS array set up for monitoring on a Ghost via the patchbay right now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:52 am

cgarges wrote:There are LOTS of consoles where the polarity inverse only works on the mic inputs. On the Ghost, it works on the line input, but not the tape input. That's a very common scenario with less expensive consoles. Some consoles (like APIs) have polarity inverse buttons specifically for the monitor path, which is super cool in my book. It's simple enough to build polarity-inverted cables or put polarity invert points in a patch bay. I'm actually about to head out to the studio where I have an MS array set up for monitoring on a Ghost via the patchbay right now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Oh, I guess I have worked on a console where the polarity button is only for the mic pre. That is retarded. Severely. I am rarely using the console pre's if I am in a room with something less expensive, I guess, so I would be flipping phase on whatever outboard pre i was using...

Huh. That is the dumbest thing ever.

xiandishinger
alignin' 24-trk

practical m/s technique

Post by xiandishinger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 am

so when i run the signal from the direct out of one channel into the line input of another channel and flip the phase of one channel, i should pan hard left or right and adjust level on one until frequencies "cancel out". my question is then i pan the channels both left and right, am i not supposed to adjust the level of the second channel? is this the best way to do this or is making an inverted cable eaiser (i have no patchbay) clarification would be appreciated.