Combo patch bays for a MOTU896?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nolan
audio school graduate

Combo patch bays for a MOTU896?

Post by nolan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I hate asking this because I think it makes me sound like I have no idea what I'm doing (which is probably more true than I want to admit!) but...

For those if you not familiar with MOTU896's and probably similar units, all of it's connections are on the back (they're actually the "combo" connections that support 1/4" and XLR). Each input has a 3way selector: +4, line, -10. In the interest of cleaning up my studio, I was hoping to put this unit in a rack and run a patchbay through it, so the connections are on the front of my rack, rather than the back of the MOTU.

Does anyone make "combo patchbays" with the combo 1/4 and XLR jacks on the front, as well as a 3-way selector like the MOTU has? Or are there other alternatives that I'm not thinking of?

Up until recently, this had been one of just a few pieces of rack gear I use (usually i use software stuff and other trickery), I'm curious what is the "norm" for this kind of thing. And my usual searches of Google and the like aren't returning any great results.

Thanks.
Nolan

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:10 pm

well, I know Neutrik sells those "combo" jacks - so you could make a a patchbay with the combo. But at some point you'd need to make a decision I suppose.

are you using outboard preamps?

I have the 896 and I have 4 channels of preamp that I use for just about everything - so the 1/4" jobbies do me.

why not make one with half and half? Split the difference.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 am

yeah ive use the HD 896. That is a downfall that you have to reach into the back to flip those tiny switches. I doubt there is anyway to get those switches into some kind of patchbay.

So im kind of guessing in the dark, but sometimes you want to use the internal mic pre, and some times you don't. I dosent seem like there is an easy solution.

I personally tested those mic pre's and found them to be very brittle and harsh, so that my answer use the other pre's all the time!!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"