If Sytek can do it......

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:20 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Sytek and FMR are very small, maybe 2 or 3 people, operations. I know from experience that being a very tiny company is a bit of a double edged sword in terms of costs, but you can operate with significantly lower overhead than the big corps, hopefully allowing you to charge less in the end. Fewer bills to pay and mouths to feed means the savings can either make a better product or be passed on the buyer. And this brings me to another point, that it's often the small, boutique companies who are going to know what we want because they're actually end users, and the whole operation is motivated/dictated by this fact. Make something cool that we and other folks actually need without allowing the accountants/marketing people to tell us how to do it, because we don't employ any.
Last edited by Family Hoof on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 am

So if we're saying that these big companies are focusing on a market that relies on graphics, advertising, product appeal etc inorder to gain customers, can't they still put out a good product, look at Audio Technica? They are in all the big glossy mags and are a huge company yet put out some pretty good stuff.
Or why can't they put out products that lead up from consumer to "prosumer" to pro. I think again, AT does this, you can get thier $99 mic move up to a $400 and they also have stuff in the $800 range...

Maybe I'm being idealistic but I think that if companies were to do this they'd have loyal customers that look forward to the next product and actaully help the company by word of mouth receomendations etc..atleast that's how I heard about Sytek and FMR.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 am

I think that for some (most?) of these manufacturers, this is strictly profit-driven enterprise. If they believe they are making the most profit by putting out entry-level or prosumer pieces in high quantities, they'll do it. My hunch is that the folks making Syteks and RNC's are not as profit-driven, and care more about how their product contributes to the recording of music. The fact is that there is a vast market for the entry-level stuff, and to tap into that market, you have to be able to play the mind games that comes with modern marketing.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:12 pm

eddie-

I think there is another angle worth consider, you can go and spend $4k on a limiter and get an absolute piece of shit for your money. There are plenty of very high dollar manufacturers that are putting out absolute crap the same way some of the cheaper companies do it.

People that want to make a good product make a good product. Some of them cost $100, some of them cost $1000. People that are out there to stick it to their customers and take the money and run stick it to their customers and take the money and run. Some of those products cost $100. Some of them cost $4000. Do some research on whom you are doing business with and all should be happy.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Dave,
Yeah I understand this, money makes the world go round for these companies and lots of other folks but I think it's just such a shame that such is the case. On the other hand we have the FMRs of the world not making as much but really putting their hears into it. I guess that's the main difference regardless of the price.
Like you said those who want to stick it to folks will.

Eddie
soundguy wrote:eddie-

I think there is another angle worth consider, you can go and spend $4k on a limiter and get an absolute piece of shit for your money. There are plenty of very high dollar manufacturers that are putting out absolute crap the same way some of the cheaper companies do it.

People that want to make a good product make a good product. Some of them cost $100, some of them cost $1000. People that are out there to stick it to their customers and take the money and run stick it to their customers and take the money and run. Some of those products cost $100. Some of them cost $4000. Do some research on whom you are doing business with and all should be happy.

dave
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

electrowerks
audio school

Post by electrowerks » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:54 pm

I dont mean to hi-jack this thread but those of you with Sytek MPX-4Aii did you get the Burr-Brown on Chs. 3-4 option? If so is it worth the couple bucks extra.

Thanks

Chuck

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:23 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Make what you have sound amazing, or at least reveal ITS limitations rather than showcasing your own and bitching a lot about gear....
This should be burned into wood plaques and hung in every home studio on planet Earth.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:32 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Inexperience leads to some funky purchases in the pursuit of better recording. Advertizing appeals to the compassionate love and want for experience, which can not be bought.

Again: If you buy the same baseball glove derek jeter uses, will you be better at baseball?

If you are tracking a record at avatar, in the "A" room, will it automatically be as good as anything else that was recorded there?

If you know thatbonham used ludwigs, and you get the exact kit, hell, HIS kit, will you be john bonham?

There is practice involved in anything. Keep recording. Make what you have sound amazing, or at least reveal ITS limitations rather than showcasing your own and bitching a lot about gear....
Hey Joel, that's pretty deep man. I like it..! Especially the part about" making the equipment reveal its limitations, rather than showcasing yours". Words of wisdom! Thanks..... 8)

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:05 pm

pixelhead wrote:I dont mean to hi-jack this thread but those of you with Sytek MPX-4Aii did you get the Burr-Brown on Chs. 3-4 option? If so is it worth the couple bucks extra.

Thanks

Chuck
Mike didn't charge me anything more for it, I don't think he usually does, although I bought mine years ago. Are they worth it....I like having the different flavor. Personally I think the burr brown channels interact nicely with guitars but with some other sources you might not notice too much of a difference.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:25 pm

On the Sytek website, it lists a higher price for having the B&B opamp in channels 3 and 4, but then further on down the page they say you can get them at no additional charge.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:18 pm

wedge wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Make what you have sound amazing, or at least reveal ITS limitations rather than showcasing your own and bitching a lot about gear....
This should be burned into wood plaques and hung in every home studio on planet Earth.
Maybe I will market a line of peanut brittle snacks, with proverbs in each one!

Maybe peanut brittle is the amish pac man....

Seriously though: I am 100% behind that statement.
It really is true.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:27 am

joel hamilton wrote:
wedge wrote:
Maybe I will market a line of peanut brittle snacks, with proverbs in each one!

Maybe peanut brittle is the amish pac man....

Seriously though: I am 100% behind that statement.
It really is true.

Awesome...Joel is the analogy king. They don't call his mixing style "ape attack" for nuttin'! Kid's got PIZZAZZZ!

Seriously though....right on.

heylow