THD Yellow Jackets in my "Hybrid" Amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ottokbre
deaf.

THD Yellow Jackets in my "Hybrid" Amp

Post by ottokbre » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:17 am

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about this for a long time now. I used to own some nice all tube amps, but when my last one kicked the bucket, I was on a budget and bought a '70s CMI Electronics "SG Systems" amp. These were usually cursed at as being no good. But my model, with two GT EL34s and a single 12AX7 (the rest is good ol SS darkness) has been faithful to me. It's all hand wired and built amazingly well, has two Alnico chrome coned 12", not to mention it looks killer with them big knobs.

It doesn't get "loud" because it the tubes never get pushed that hard. It hangs like a 50watt combo should, plenty of volume. So I am thinking of getting some THD Yellow Jackets today with some spare cash I got.

I know it won't sound like an AC30 or anything, but do you think it will be an improvment?

I like compressed clean jangle and small amp drive. Although I tend to like it on the Bassman/Deluxe side as of recently.

Honestly, I am getting the Yellow Jackets, or picking up the Tech 21 American Woman pedal and getting my '70s rawk on!
boobs are life's fountain

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:34 pm

I have some.

I don't really love em' or hate em'. I bought them more as a "color" to add to my recording pallette...it's cheaper than a new amp. :wink:

They definitely do what the manufacturer says they do and they do a good job. Probably the biggest down for me is they can almost get "too" mushy as you go up in volume with little difinition in the low mids. I think they're worth the dough though. I guess it all depends on what you wanna do with em'. They might just do what are looking for if your main problem is lack of push on the tubes.....just keep in mind, they won't sound like pushed 6L6s.

I hope that helps....

heylow