Sony C-37

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

Sony C-37

Post by linus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:27 am

I have a chance to buy a Sony C-37 mic in great condition and functioning perfectly for $900. This seems like a great deal to me.

I'm not familiar with this mic and won't have a chance to buy it or return it if it's not really my flavor. From what I've read they are good sounding mics, perhaps a little dark? Not sure.

The C-37 is tube right? Were there different models and if so, what the difference?

Can anyone who owns one or uses one regularly comment on it?

Thanks
Linus

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:23 pm

Don't own but want one badly. If it is a C-37a then it is tube. If it is a C-37b it is solid state. Is there a seperate power supply with it and a mic cable with more than 3 pins? If so it is more than likely the tube C-37. If it is the non-tube version, then $900 sounds about right for a C-37b in nice shape. I do own a C38b which I like quite a bit. I have heard the C-37b and C-38b use the same capsule but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Coco on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:24 pm

There's a few threads in the archives on this mic. They're real nice. The model "A" is a tube mic. There's also an FET version, some of which go by the name C37P. There's also the C38, which appears to be identical to the FET version.

I have a pair of the FET's. Love 'em. Super nice on loud guitar cabs, and also for toms. Sometimes good on vocals. I saw some footage of Joni Mitchell singing into one once and had some limited success with a female vocalist on mine. Kind of a lower output mic. The FET's have a switch built into the grommet where the cord leaves the mic body that engages several different roll-off schemes, and a high frequency roll off switch that's sorta hidden inside the body above the battery clip (yes, they are battery operable...). I wouldn't call them dark, but they're sure not "modern" sounding or hyped in the high end in any way.

A good condition C37-A for $900 is a deal. That price might be a tad steep for the FET versions...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:08 pm

A deal?

Yeah, it's a hell of a deal if it's the "A." Like a thousand dollars off the usual price.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:55 pm

I liked a pair I used to use a bunch.
I always seemed to wind up with them as a stereo pair in the room for drums.