Reason Adapted/Pro Tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

reckonerba
audio school

Reason Adapted/Pro Tools

Post by reckonerba » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:14 pm

So I'm a Pro Tools and a recording novice trying to figure out how to work Reason Adapted. Specifically, I would like to record the Redrum program onto a Midi track. The playback works fine and I can get the hang of programming drum beats, but I can't get it to actually record a drum track on Pro Tools. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Sorry I can't provide anymore specifics. I think I'm doing everything right.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:32 am

I do it like this...

In PT create 1 midi track, 1 aux input, and 1 audio track.
Insert Reason on the aux input, and turn it up.
Set the output of the midi track to control Reason.
Assign the output of the aux input to an unused bus.
Assign the input of the audio track to the same bus used on the aux input.
Record arm the midi track and the audio track.
Go to town.

I know that seems like a lot to do to record a midi performance through Reason/whatever, but that seems to be how it's done. In PT7, they've added instrument tracks which should make this easier. Good luck!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am

I either do what was mentioned above (slight differences for TDM, but whatever), or I simply track right into reason (midi) and then export as midi, then import as a new midi track in the protools session. The offline export seems to hold the "feel" better. I get worse midi "feel" going through protools. Sounds wacky, but it is true in my world.

Tracking midi notes into reson with reason in the foreground seems to be the best feel.

Crazy? I dunno, but i like using it that way.
I export midi files to protools once the performances are dealt with, OR I just track the stuff through outboard gear into porotools like it was just another instrument. Tracking makes reason sound a LOT more unique... I can always re-print if I want to change something and cant just do it on the grid, as audio rather than midi.

reckonerba
audio school

Post by reckonerba » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:07 pm

Thanks alot! Worked like a charm. I appreciate your help.