remapping midi keyboard?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

televator
alignin' 24-trk

remapping midi keyboard?

Post by televator » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:49 pm

I am using a yamaha djx with a usb midi interface into an iMac G5 running os x 10.4 and I want to remap the keyboard assignment. Currently when I strike the lowest note on the DJX it registers as being C1, but I'd like to change it to C0, with the other keys following suit. I'm totally stumped. Any advice?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:26 pm

I dunno if it's available for mac but there's an xp program called MIDI Translator that will allow you to do that.

Will

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:11 am

what program are you using on the mac?

i skimmed what i think might be the manual here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php

ive never used a djx but midi is standardized for a reason. right? and it doesn't look like it has the standard mapping capability of a midi controller, but you can try to do a few things to get around that. the easiest would be to try transposing the patch in the keyboard down an octave (-12). if that works, then thats it really. it might not work though because the way the keyboard would internally lower the sound might not lower the midi control note. it may still just send the c1 control.

if not then you would have to do this same thing in the program your using. if its a daw and your just recording midi notes to later apply to a softsynth or something. when the track is done you can either select it and hit the edit < transpose (-12) option or if its straight to a softsynth or sampler etc ? to be played in real time then it may have the transpose / tuning option in either the main panel or in the option/properties section of the app. just change 0 to ?12 or it may have a midi in option with similar settings ( set to ?12 ) and your good

does that make sense?