Cable envy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Cable envy

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:27 am

This is a a much more serious, and debilitating, affliction in my case.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Whoa. Sorry to hear that, man. Better switch to satellite.

-J

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:39 am

no way dude. monster cable.

*snicker*
that devil bastard protools

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:49 am

Nothing wrong with monster, but mogami cable, nuetric connectors, and a little solder are about as good as you can do.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:58 am

exactly. you can get 100' of mogami for like 50 bucks, and 10 neutrik connectors for 30 bucks or so, maybe a little more (connectors are expensive!)

that's 5 20' cables... not bad for less than 100 bucks, and it's quality and you won't have to fix it a lot (assuming one can solder).
that devil bastard protools

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:23 pm

MikeCzech wrote:Nothing wrong with monster
They are some of the cheapest cables I have ever used. I have had several go bad in my studio while tracking. Guitar players buy them and then have problems with their petals and it ends up being their monster cables. For guitars I just use Canare GS-6 w/ the Canare connectors. It's an indestructible combination and sounds good too.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:51 pm

Wait this isn't about Joel's TV?

For what it's worth, I have seen the super-tight, smaller-than-spec monster RCA connectors actually rip the chassis connectors off the back of receivers and televisions, or stay stuck to the chassis connector while the solder joint was ripped apart and the cable fell free. They are also a company that sues anyone and everyone who uses the word monster in anything they do, right down to that little organization called Snow-Monster in Colorado that is a non-for-profit that brings kids from the city up to the mountains to experience skiing, snowboarding and other outdoor, winter sports. In my humble and personal opinoin, they surpass Clear-Channel in organized corporate sleaze and they're up there with Bose in misleading consumers about quality in audio reproduction. Read more here. Friends don't let friends buy monster.

-Jeremy

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:34 pm

Man I remember those Monster Cable law suits. That was pretty fucking stupid. I haven't bought one since, no matter what they sound like.

You can VOTE with your MONEY. Economics is like the government. well, who knows about either one in these dark times...

jim!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm

I really like the cables by BLUE.
They work, and sound good. We have like 6 of those cranberry, and kiwi, and snozzberry (whatever) cables, and the rest are "home made" from good cable and good connectors.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:26 am

I agree those Blue cables are pretty rockin' for premade strips of wire between some connectors.
For my money and tech experience I'd take Canare over Mogami for anything that's multi-pair. Mogami is good cable, but it curls up when you go to heat shrink it and the twisted multi-strand shield just gets to be a hassle when making more than one connection. If I'm just making single cables then Mogami or Canare are definitly my favorites.

-justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com