ELP's "Lucky Man"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:14 pm

King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:
dwlb wrote:
King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:Or maybe it's because slightly more people are slightly less enthusiastic about drugs nowadays.
this is a problem why exactly?
and has what to do with adventurous mixes?
I'm just saying maybe drugs aren't impairing judgement in the studio as much as they used to - so things that are "wrong" are being corrected, rather than sounding "good" in a drug-induced haze.

It was sort of a tongue in cheek comment, anyway. I'm the last person to be saying drugs are the magic ingredient.
:^:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:47 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:I'm not an ELP fan but did just download "Lucky Man" to hear the solo last night. What was funny was sitting through all the other crap to get there! And the drums sound so bad to me but kinda cool, like "let's put plate on them so they sound better." Funny stuff.

I wish most S&G songs had one more "outside" element to push them over. Like "Patterns" does with the rhythm stuff.
Patterns is a great song. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's the Boxer, with that great big BOOM! on the chorus. Mebbe I'm just jaded from hearing it involuntarily on the adult contemporary muzak station, but I'm not sure that the "out" sound really improved it so greatly.

Hmmm. Something for me to think about fer me. Thanks.