Wierd ram happenings. Can someone help?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

allbaldo
pushin' record

Wierd ram happenings. Can someone help?

Post by allbaldo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:07 am

I just got a gig (2 x 512 megs0 of ram to add to my 1.25 GHz G4. I already had 512 megs in it, in the form of 2 256 meg cards.

The computer normally uses PC2700 ram, but will accept pc3200 as well. 1 of the ram cards I already was pc2700, and 1 was a pc3200, and they were working fine.

When I added the new ram, which is pc3200, I started having strange happenings. My firewire drives wouldn't mount, and the system felt sluggish.

When I removed the 2 256 meg cards, things started working again.

I adding the other cards 1 at a time to see if one or the other was causing the problem, but if I added either card, the problems came back.

Any ideas on why this is happening, and how I can fix it? I want as much ram as I can have in there.

What do you folks think? Thanks!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 am

What OS?

I have had really hell times mixing RAM. Have you tried them in different slots?

I wound up having to get matching ram, as it was causing hard freezes when cold, or too hot! Really,m really picky. Took me a whilke to figure out that the ffrikking ram was the problem. So annoying. I would rather have less ram than mixed speed ram in a G4 running OSX.

Grumpy times....

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:22 pm

OSX can be verrry ram finnicky as well. It is not uncommon to find ram which doesn't like to play nice with others. Make sure it is from a reputable entity like Kingston, with whom I've had nothing but great experiences with. Sometimes budget ram can cost you more in the long run.

Best,
H

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:35 pm

I'm running PT 6.4.1 on OSX 10.3.4. The ram I got was from Other World Computing. Everything else I've gotten from them was good, so I figured ram from them would be safe.

I did try different slot orders, and that didn't help. Maybe I'll have to get another gig from OWC to make it work. It seems like everything's running well now that I only have the gig instead of the 512 I had before.

Thanks!

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Have you zapped the pram yet? I've had similar problems that were rectified by doing that (apple+option+p+r on a restart); or a reset the open firmware can also fix that sometimes. Memory mis-matches were a lot more common before DDR ram, so I'm somewhat surprised that you are having a problem.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:17 pm

oh, I forgot to mention something about zapping the pram: you need to hold down apple+option+p+r until you hear the apple startup 'bong' at least twice. I usually let it bong three times just ot make sure. Your monitor resolution settings will be forgotten until osx fully starts.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:47 pm

http://discussions.info.apple.com/searc ... o&q=RAM+g4

Lots of great answers here. In the discussions, forget the "answerbase" or the "knwledge fountain" or the "genius volcano of love."

Also: dont bother with the PRAM zap unless you have a new device causing problems. I have had crazy startup issues when a RAM mismatch or bad stick went "wild" and then I zapped the PRAM and had ten times the nightmares...

You can use verbose logging, or boot in "safe" mode [apple S @ starttup]to see where the thing is hanging... Try that before anything.... lso, seems like people are talking about finicky RAM problems a lot... I felt them....

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:32 am

Not to disagree, but I've had brand new RAM cause conflicts in the bus, and have the PRAM zap clear out whatever was stored in that new RAM (which should have been nothing), and have everything end up hunky dory on multiple occasions. I've definitely had problems moving ram from one machine to another, until I zapped the PRAM. (which makes sense) I do agree though, that booting into safe safe mode, and checking the logs often times help; and that zapping the PRAM can be an extreme solution.

Back to the original poster, If I were you, I would remove the PC 2700 piece of RAM, to run at the higher clock speed, and see how that works; if your problems haven't ceased already.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:12 pm

I'm just running the 1 gig of PC3200 for now. I'll get another gig in a few months. Thanks folks!