analog FX

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chillhouse
studio intern

analog FX

Post by chillhouse » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:13 pm

so we're looking for a good analog phaser/flanger/chorus sound in a rackmount box. either/or one or all. opinions? we like the moogerfooger phaser pedal and the mxr stuff from the 70's but don't have any of them. something nice and warm and unlike our current options (computer or dm2000). thanks!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: analog FX

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:30 am

chillhouse wrote:so we're looking for a good analog phaser/flanger/chorus sound in a rackmount box. either/or one or all. opinions? we like the moogerfooger phaser pedal and the mxr stuff from the 70's but don't have any of them. something nice and warm and unlike our current options (computer or dm2000). thanks!
There are a zillion choices. from an MXR blue face rack to a publison "infernal machine", to an effectron, or an AMS piece.... You will have to hunt for the one you think is "warm" compared to what you are hearing now.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:05 am

Although it's digital the Digitech GSP 2101 is an incredible rackmount processor that actually employs a tube in it's preamp section for a little analog touch. Alex Lifeson recorded a lot of amazing sounds with that unit.

Hard to find though. If you decide to check it out I'd recommend getting the Eprom 3.0 chip upgrade for it too, if you can find it.

Bwanasonic
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bwanasonic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:02 pm

I've heard a rumor from *a reliable source*, that EH might possibly release a rack version of the Flanger Hoax. Maybe this one will have less *issues* than the pedal version.

Kerry M

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:31 pm

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/887/

This is the holy grail of analog flangers....I've been sorely tempted many times on Ebay, but chicken out as the price rises to $300, 400+......XLR in/outs.....sigh.....I think it's also a standard analog delay with a bucket brigade max of 600 ms, which is amazing for bucket brigade for it's time (70's)....You can spend even more for the MoogerFooger, but I guess this Ibanez is da shiznit for flanging and delay. Someday....sigh....
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

chillhouse
studio intern

Post by chillhouse » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:03 pm

thanks guys. i'll check into some of these. i realize now that saying "warm" is kinda subjective, and an overused blanket term. what our chorus/flange/phaser options lack is a smooth low mid area, noticeable when panning the returns out. i'm thinking of something with a little more character. something that will sit a little better in the mix and occupy its own space (helping to create better dimension). the digi options we have now are brittle and thin, especially when panned out. thanks again!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:26 pm

Your other option is to get a "reamp" or similar and send the signal through a stomp box flanger/phaser.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 pm

The Roland SRE-555 does a decent job but doesn't have flange. I really like Deltalab Effectrons for mod shifts. I also have the Boss CE-1 pedal for chorus and those are pretty damn nice if you like chorus.

I really haven't found an outboard/pedal flange that sounded "warm" but yet again I'm not a big fan of it anyways. I suppose you could cheat it by swing a microphone in front of an speaker with having a stationary mic and blending the two or actually "flanging the reels" if you have a tape machine... but it really depends on the tape machine cuz most of them won't allow such an extreme operation.

Other than that, in a rack mount, I have a pair of custom MXR Flange's that sound great but they're not as broad/versatile as lets say a guitar pedal.... the MXR is pretty soft (non-obtrusive). I'm not a huge fan of the multi-effects units cuz they can get too scratchy if loaded up with a lot of parameters. If I'm in a pinch I'll use an upper level Lexicon or a lower level Alesis.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:43 am

If you want to get a little crazier try an Electgrix Filter Queen.

Also for a digital unit the Kurzweil Mangler is pretty fun.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:56 am

The Marshall Time Modulator is probably the best flange I've ever heard, but they are rare, expensive (~$1000), and a doorstop if they break. They used some weird proprietary technology, the company is long gone, and there are no service documents available.
In the cheaper ($200) and cool department, I'd recommend the Ibanez UE-400. It's a 2 space rackmount designed for a guitar rack but I use mine on Aux sends and it works fine. All the jacks are on the front panel, so you can keep it near your patchbay and patch it in as necessary. It uses the "9" series Ibanez effects and has a TS9 tubescreamer, compressor, phaser, and switchable flange/chorus. You can set the order of the effects with knobs, and switch each one individually with a footswitch--- make sure it comes with this, as it won't work unmodified without it! There's an effects loop, so you can jack an external effect in to any point in the fx chain. I have an AD-202 patched into mine and it's a killer combination.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:22 am

the moogerfoogers sound fantastic. (i have the murf) but i don't think anyone of them are rackmountable. unless you roll your own somehow.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

ad-230

Post by monkeyboy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:41 am

I own one...and yes...It's glorious.
Nerp!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:06 am

another vote for the chorus on the SRE-555.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:23 pm

these_go211 wrote:the moogerfoogers sound fantastic. (i have the murf) but i don't think anyone of them are rackmountable. unless you roll your own somehow.
They actually have a racking kit -- it'll hold three Moogerfoogers.