Heres a fun one

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:57 am

Everybody's X wrote:Joel I would like to know, how you got the crazy guitar sounds and noises on "crumble" the weird "vmmmmmm" feedbacky sound. teqnique-wise
I love that
The main guitar in crumble is just me. Two tracks. Left and right. There are a few guitar parts inside of that though....

The main is just my Les Paul custom through a single amp, a movieola squack box. No pedals.

The high noise is just the way I always have that thing tuned: The B string, then the high e down to B sharp. I change the "bsharp" string for more or less or faster or slower harmonic beating...

Aside from that it is just doubled with the "bsharp" string tuned slightly different, totally by ear. The guitar wasnt even tuned at all to be honest. Picked it up and played, which is how all of the guitars on that record were cut essentially.

Hope that is what you meant!

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

The B Sharps

Post by electrofloss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 am

I"m such a sucker for that dissonant B sharp tuning. I love to use it and love to hear it. Joel, did you pick up that somewhere in particular?

I "discovered" it after listening to a lot of Brainiac and figured out that that tuning was a part of what made them sound so fucked up and awesome. Though I'm sure they had many other bizarre tunings going on.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:40 am

yep thats what I meant, crazy shit man, I dig it
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: The B Sharps

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:46 pm

electrofloss wrote:I"m such a sucker for that dissonant B sharp tuning. I love to use it and love to hear it. Joel, did you pick up that somewhere in particular?

I "discovered" it after listening to a lot of Brainiac and figured out that that tuning was a part of what made them sound so fucked up and awesome. Though I'm sure they had many other bizarre tunings going on.
I came up with it when i was in a band called "glazed baby" and then we played with brainiac in akron, or dayton, whatever... and we looked at each other like "woah."

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:34 am

Did you'all have anything to do with the "It's a wonderful life" Sparklehorse record? These tunes share some sonic qualities. I really like it. Simple, but quality songs treated creatively.

Also, I lived at Ainslie and Lorimer for a year and failed to figure out that your studio was basically around the block. Not that I had any business to toss your way--as I was in the midst of not being a musician--but I would've introduced myself and said hello. Stupid stupid stupid!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:48 am

comfortstarr wrote:Did you'all have anything to do with the "It's a wonderful life" Sparklehorse record? These tunes share some sonic qualities. I really like it. Simple, but quality songs treated creatively.

Also, I lived at Ainslie and Lorimer for a year and failed to figure out that your studio was basically around the block. Not that I had any business to toss your way--as I was in the midst of not being a musician--but I would've introduced myself and said hello. Stupid stupid stupid!
I recorded about a third of that sparklehorse record. Dave fridmann did a third, and the band did a third.
(very roughly).

Did you live IN sals pizza> ;)

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:04 am

joel hamilton wrote:
comfortstarr wrote:Did you'all have anything to do with the "It's a wonderful life" Sparklehorse record? These tunes share some sonic qualities. I really like it. Simple, but quality songs treated creatively.

I recorded about a third of that sparklehorse record. Dave fridmann did a third, and the band did a third.
(very roughly).

Did you live IN sals pizza> ;)
Hats off to you sir for that Sparklehouse record (at least 1/3 of the hat). I spent quite a few lunch hours in Sals--I worked out of my apartment at the time. I really miss living there (the neighborhood, not the apartment, I love having a house).

Now, back to topic: Am I understanding this correctly that you'all are detuning the high e string to B# (c)?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:47 pm

High E goes to B, + about ten cents, depending on the tempo of the song and how much harmonic beating I want. Like a very extreme chorus on the B, ya know?

I used to have a guitar that I had a 7th string built on to it, so I had the option to do that to the high E or not. These days I like just using the B/B+8 combo, and playing in a higher position....

Makes for some insane overtones as well when playing with a bunch of drive. Double tracked parts like the one in "crumble" just take on a new life that doesnt sound like guitar at all, in a great way IMO... ;)

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:56 pm

yeah I wasnt even sure that part was a guitar, you never know with your ties to sleepytime
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:14 pm

Everybody's X wrote:yeah I wasnt even sure that part was a guitar, you never know with your ties to sleepytime
It totally could have been a lazer donkey piano stick, made of 14 telephone poles and played with helmets....Like what THEY play.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 am

:D
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:09 am

Everybody's X wrote:yeah I wasnt even sure that part was a guitar, you never know with your ties to sleepytime
Tracked a new song with Sleepytime the last time they were here in NYC.
Mixing it tomorrow for a new release... It is pretty fun.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:16 pm

joel hamilton wrote: Tracked a new song with Sleepytime the last time they were here in NYC.
Mixing it tomorrow for a new release... It is pretty fun.
FUCK YEAH!

I love that band! They have seriously been one of my favorite new bands for they last two years know. I can not wait to hear new songs of theirs!

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:40 pm

I'd love to see you do a breakdown on that session Joel, when and if you have the time. It has got to be refreshing to think to yourself "today I am micing up a donkey lazer stick"
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com