ART TPS II - input impedance Q

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

ART TPS II - input impedance Q

Post by junkstar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:42 pm

So, I have this ART TPS II mic preamp, and it has a dial marked 'Input Impedance.' The dial is marked as '3k' fully left, '300' center, and '150' fully right. What the f? I have no clue how this corresponds with the specs for my mics (and the ART manual does not say). Is this a reference to the 'balanced ohms' level each of my mics may be operating at by any chance? Do I try to set the dial based on that number (for example, my RE-20 states that the impedance it generates is 150 ohms balanced). Sorry for the dumb question (I've just been keeping the dial set in the middle but have been meaning to figure this out).

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:53 pm

The feature's main purpose is to match input impedence with the output impedence of your mic, yes.

So the "proper" setting on your TPS II is 150 ohms for "optimum" tone.

A good setting for an SM-57 (for example) would be 600 ohms.

A lot of your mics will have different ouptut impedence ratings. Check your spec's for each mic.

However, you can experiment a little and see if maybe you like the sound of the mic with the setting at 200 ohms or 300 ohms. Try the settings all the way up to 600 ohms if you like and listen to the coloration you get with different settings.

It's a really great feature to have.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:02 am

Thanks Kenny. Makes sense, but I just had to ask. Guess I should have held on to all the documntation that came with all my mics... Looks like I'll be surfing the web and making myself a list. I'm just really used to using my Aphex 107's... one dial.