Connections between a Allen & Heath Mixwizard & a Ta

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Piccoman2
audio school graduate

Connections between a Allen & Heath Mixwizard & a Ta

Post by Piccoman2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi,

I've been batteling this damn problem for a year. I took sometime off since I had no where to record but I now have a space and would like to get things going. I have a Allen and Heath Mixwizard 16:2 mixer that I use with my Tascam 58 8-track. Each channel on the Mixwizard has a direct output which I have been using to run the signal over to the Tascam. I have some very nice balanced 1/4" to XLR cables that I would like to use for +4 dB operation on the tape machine. I've tried to run out of the direct outputs from the mixwizard to the XLR +4 dB ins on the Tascam but the problem is that when I do this I have to run the preamps real hot to get the signal hot enough over to the Tascam. I've calibrated the machine w/ MRL tapes and a function generator so I'm somewhat confident that the machine is good. I looked in the manual for the Allen and Heath and read the following about the direct outputs fromthe Allen and Heath: "The mic/line channel direct output is available on an impedance balanced TRS jack. It is a line level signal operating at 0 dBu. The source is set using an internal option jumper for each channel. The factor default setting is pre-fade, this may be change to post-fade if preferred."

Is my problem that the output from the direct output jack from the Mixwizard is set for line level meaning -10db? I'm not sure what 0 dBu means. My crappy unbalance Hosa cables work just fine when I run between the direct outs on the mixwizard and the -10 dB RCA style inputs on the Tascam 58. If this is the case am I screwed w/ operating in +4 mode with my better cables. If I'm reading the part about the jumper right that is just saying that the direct out is pre or post fader settable but I'm assuming that the line level is not adjustable. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
scottpicco@yahoo.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:04 am

I'm no expert but it sounds like your direct outs are -10. You could try sending signal to the tascam via the bus outs on the mix wizard. They're probably +4. If all else fails you could just get some good cables and run the tape machine unballanced. As long as the cable runs are short you shouldn't have any problems.