Finding a space

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 am

Problems in my area include that fact that even though many commercial areas are in decline, the owners still think they have "prime commercial locations" and asking prices are set accordingly. We've been looking at older school buildings and churches and the like. Couldn't afford the really beautiful Masonic temple, but going todday to look at the chrch that may well be the answer. Don't want to jinx it by talking too much. Wish me luck.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:28 am

gsa wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:Now he's selling the 1/2 block we are on (along with other buildings) and we will be moving next year it looks like.
That's my biggest fear about renting. I've actually found the perfect space recently.. just what I've always imagined -- 6000+ square feet of empty space (it would double as a performance venue and overall art/loft space) on the second floor of a 100+ year old building on my town's Main Street. Beautiful brick architecture, wood floors, 14+ foot ceilings.. it's basically the holy-freaking grail. Problem is, the building is for sale. Actually it has been for quite a while (the commercial district here has moved to another area in town so the downtown-proper is becoming increasingly vacant and undesirable to businesspeople).. But I just know that as soon as I move into this place that the building will be sold and I'll be kicked out and heartbroken. I'm so crazy over this place and the possibilities running amok in my head that I'm considering exploring the option of buying it myself.. which probably is not the most wise of ideas at my age (21). The thing has been reduced in price a number of times, I guess due to lack of interest, and is now just under 200k. Two storeys of 6000 square feet each. 4 rental properties (3 occupied) on the bottom floor. No one wants it. Everyone I talk to about this thinks I'm crazy, and sometimes I'm inclined to agree with them.

Argh!
where is the location? what city / town?

Thats is a really cheap price for something like that..if you could manage to mortgage that place at your age you will be really far ahead in life early..if you have a good steady job to make payments and maintain it..

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:38 am

One of my regrets is that I didn't buy property in Portland 12 years ago!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

gsa
ass engineer

Post by gsa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 pm

The building is in my little home-town in New Brunswick, just about equidistant from Montreal, Halifax and New York City. Not really a booming arts centre, but I'm excited about the many possibilities. I'm about ready to get the ball rolling -- talking with a few people, looking into gov't programs, and setting up the first of what may become many, many meetings with my banker.

Like I said to someone today, I'm willing to jump over the hurdles until I hit a big, fat, impenetrable brick wall. I'd just like to find out about a few of those hurdles beforehand..