What Did You Work On Today? 11-12-05

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:42 pm

Spent the weekend in Portland, had a gig Saturday night that was cancelled just a few days before, my girlfriend and I had already made plans to spend the wekend, so we went ahead and did that, without the annoying inconvenience of playing a gig!

Went to Timbutunes on Hawthorne, a completely amazing CD store that specializes in world music, jazz and contemporary classical. Exactly the kind of store I would run if I didn't need to make money :-)

Bought a bunch of discs:

A 3 CD set of music from the Western Sahara, featuring a bunch of tracks by Nayim Allal, one of the most interesting guitarists I've heard lately. Does traditional Sahrouis music on highly processed electric guitar, very cool stuff.

A CD by Vreshki and Koreshki, I may have the name wrong, it's russian for Roots and Leaves, a truly strange quartet consisting of a Senegalese singer who also plays a traditional harp, a Tuvan throat singer who plays traditional tuvan fiddle also, a Russian acoustic bassist with a background in avant/free improv and a Russian classical pianist. Often these world fusion things don't work, but this disc really does. Vladimir Volkov , the bassist, kicks my ass.

The new Moondog compilation on Honest John's.

Terry Riley's music for the Gift, which features him doing tape edits and looping on the Chet Baker trio, very cool and more than a few decades ahead of its time.

A GS Sachdev disc of ragas on flute, with Zakir Hussein

Several discs of Jordi Savall doing medeival and renaissance music on Viole de Gamba

And other cool stuff...

_Daryl_
pluggin' in mics

hmmmm.....can i say that here?

Post by _Daryl_ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:05 am

i spent the day mixing a couple of songs for a local band called Fine Feathered Iguanas.....and within the day of mixing, i had a small pro tools meltdown, took a break for some lunch and a haircut, un-melted down, and finished the mixes, and then in the evening i combed through the tape op forums for a reasonably entertaining post to reply to....whew, i'm tired.
"cut the shit, and boost the gain"