FS or FT: Otari MX-7308 Pro 8 track 1 inch R2R in great cond

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

FS or FT: Otari MX-7308 Pro 8 track 1 inch R2R in great cond

Post by tablebeast » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:10 pm

I bought this Otari MX-7308 8 track 1 inch machine a few weeks ago with the intention of using it as the centerpeice of my new studio, but I realise that I don't want to bother with tape at all. I'm going to stick with digital which is what I know. I got a great deal on it and I will pass a great deal along to anyone interested in it. Its a huge 8 track, 1 inch machine and runs at 15 AND 30 ips and is built like a tank. The electronics are superb and the heads have minimal wear, just enough to break it in really and the little wear it has is very even. It was used over the past year to record and mix one album so it has been used, but not abused and it has not been sitting dormant which is probably the most important aspect of buying one of these older decks. The pinch roller is great, the motor pulls perfectly and quietly. It is clean and was very well maintained by a professional. He loved this beast, but had to sell it and his whole studio for personal reasons. If you have been looking for an affordable 8 track 1 inch machine in the southeast USA then this is your perfect find!
I am looking to get $999 for this. I would be willing to trade for: PowerMac Tower or any sound card PCI or firewire in the same value range. Heck I don't mind a package deal either, I would even trade for mic pres, mics, instruments, tube amps, etc as long as the value was comparable. I will not ship it unless you make all the arrangements. It is currently in storage (and stored properly). I would prefer local pickup, but if you waant to freight it, be my guest. I don't have a truck or anything so I might not be of much help. Again, I'm looking for a very reasonable $999 / trade for pro audio gear. Thanks, I will link to some pics this weekend when I can take some.

Jesse
Last edited by tablebeast on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:02 pm

If you end up parting it out I'd be interested in some of the pieces.
I can't buy the whole thing from you as I'm on the West Coast.
BTW your price seems rather high. Is that what you paid for it?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:48 pm

No, thats not what I paid for it. I really coudn't find much info at all about it so I didn't know what to price it at. What is a price that you suggest? I will part it out if I have to but it works so well, it would be a shame to do that to such a great machine. IF I was going to part it out, what parts would people be interested in? If I get enough requests, I may consider going the part route. It has the manual by the way, I forgot to mention that before.

Jesse

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:26 pm

If I recall correctly a MX-7800 1" 8 track had a minimum bid of 700.00 on ebay several months back. No one bid on it. I paid 400 for my 7308 but it needs some work.

I don't want to lead you on here. I am not certain at this point if I'm going to keep my 7308 or just keep the preamps and give away the rest. So don't make your decisions based on what I say. :oops:
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:17 am

Wow, considering what this record done on the machine sounded like, I could have sworn these would go for more $ than you stated. But, I'll bite. How does $999 sound? I won't go any lower than that because at that point I'd rather part it out. At $999 its a freakin bargain considering how well it works and that it needs nothing to get up and start recording!

Jesse

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:21 pm

I hope you can get someone to bite on that. It is a great-sounding no-frills machine.