.aiff or .wav (newbie questions here)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Paperbass2
audio school

Post by Paperbass2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey everybody. I'm back to recording and I have a few questions, specifically Pro Tools related.

I just reinstalled software got my system up and running and now Pro Tools has offered me a choice when I chose to start a new session.

Is a .wav file at 24 bit a better choice than a .aiff at 24 bit?
How about sample rate? Is there a significant difference in a higher rate?
If so, is that a way to go? Is compatibility an issue when toying around with different formats and bit depth, etc...

Basically I'm looking to maximize sound quality and compatibility and I'm not sure what the best choice is. If anyone has 2 cents. Please donate to charity!

- Sebastian

P.S. Should I enforce Mac/PC Compatibility?
Has anyone noticed digidesign's missing T in 6.9.2 for Compatibility? :)

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:56 am

The inforce mac/pc compatability thing only has to do with file name size. Mac limits the number of characters that can be used in a file name its something around 30. So if you want your pc files to "always" work on mac then do that.

.aiff its the newer mac standard file extention for audio files. sd2 (sdII) is the older one (still used by Digital Performer).

.wav is the pc standard, And the file type that cd's are writen in.

There is no quality difference in .wav or .aiff. I don't think the conversion to burn a cd is any faster either (not too sure about that).

The question about compatibility you want to ask is what do you want to be compatable with? If you want to send your buddy with garage band your drum tracks to mess with, he cant use 88.2. At least i dont think so, and definatly not if he dosent have a newer I/O device that deals with 88.2.

Sample Rates Simply
48 and 96 are for audio for video
44.1 and 88.2 are for audio audio.
If you are making CD's stay away from 48, you will LOOSE quality when you conver to 44.1. CD's are at 44.1.

at 88.2 you are using more that twice the hard drive space so that is a big consideration.

Not sure how much of this you already know or if this is groundbreaking.......

Post more specific questions about who and what you want to be compatible with. mac vs pc. Pro studios, basment pro tools rigs from 1995.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

logancircle
tinnitus

types

Post by logancircle » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:14 am

The easy answer for bits/sample rate is 24-bit/44.1 This is the most commonly-used resolution and sampling rate for recording. These days you can use WAV, AIFF and SDII without problems, but if you're going from platform to platform you might as well use WAVs.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:05 am

CDs are AIFF.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:15 am

cd's don't use .wav or .aif. they use .cda files.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:18 am

Cyan421 wrote:.aiff its the newer mac standard file extention for audio files. sd2 (sdII) is the older one (still used by Digital Performer).
Not to be a nit-picky twat, but I've been using Macs since the Mac Classic days, and .aiff has always been the Apple OS standard audio file format, as long as I can remember. It may be "new" in regards to being usable in ProTools, though. sd2 was developed by MOTU for use with Digital Performer, back in the day...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:19 am

Cyan421 wrote:The inforce mac/pc compatability thing only has to do with file name size. Mac limits the number of characters that can be used in a file name its something around 30. So if you want your pc files to "always" work on mac then do that.
I was under the impression there was other voodoo involved, as well.

As someone who's had to mix LOTS of projects taken from multiple sources, I can't see why anyone would not save a project for Mac AND PC compatibility. If for some reason a client takes something you worked on somewhere else, not doing this will make you look bad. Plain and simple.

Consolidated wav files seem to work pretty much anywhere. Broadcast wav files are cool too, becuase they're time-stamped, but some programs won't see those in the correct locations unless they've been consolodated or filled-in or whatever.

I'm trying to think of a time when OMFs have not been a pain, but that's a different subject.

As far as sample rate, there are advatages to any of them. 44.1 and 48 are the most common working formats. I prefer 48 because I work with an analog signal path, but I don't get bent out of shape if I see 44.1. There are plently of good reasons for doing 44.1.

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Paperbass2
audio school

Post by Paperbass2 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:58 am

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like .wav and 24 bit is the way to go. Guys, how about that fader gain option (+6db or +12b) whats better and is there difference?

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:46 am

Modern Recording Techniques says
"...Sound Designer II or .snd format....Was developed by Digidesign for their Pro-Tools and other digital editor systems."

But weren't earlier versions of Pro Tools called Sound Designer (pre Digidesign)???

The only other thing i can find on "Enforce Mac/PC compatibility" is that it forces you to use .wav or .aif, it wont let you make a seesion using sdII. The digi training manual also states that you cannot select sample rates higher than 48 khz while having "Enforce Mac/PC compatibility" selected. But hopefuly that has changed in newer versions. This manual may be pre PT HD for windows/pc.

It does seem pretty silly to me that its even an option. I guess there are possibilities, but so many more limitations.

as allways edited for speeling and grahmer
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"