Ryan Adams Cold Roses

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Ryan Adams Cold Roses

Post by Ian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 am

This CD is stuck in my CD player in my car(won't eject no matter what I 've tried) I've been listening to it for almost 3 months. So to keep from going nuts I've been listening to it for the past week by only listening to one side(L&R) at a time. It almost sounds to me that the left side has most stuff close miked( full kit, direct Bass, acoustic guitar, dry vocal) the right side sounds almost like all "room" mics catching a perfomance live. As much as I need to fix this CD player problem, it's a really enjoyable CD(Disc 1).

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:01 am

Sounds like an interesting mix, I'll have to check it out. Though to be honest I'd give the guy more of a chance if he'd lighten up and play "Summer of '69" at a gig once in awhile! :roll:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

samjm
audio school

Post by samjm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:05 am

I think tom schick engineered/produced some or all. I've done two sessions with him, he's got an awesome mentality, if you go to the Ryan adams site he talks about how the engineer kind of doesn't let anyone redo parts and how its for the better.

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:44 am

cold roses is fucking amazing. both the songs and the production. that record sounds HUGE.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm

I love this record, so much that I bought his newest release and unwrapped it and haven't listened to it...

Josh

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:06 pm

I've had a few listens to Jacksonville, it's isn't as strong as Cold Roses. He descibes it perfectly as a "punk" country record. I don't think his lyrics fit into his melodies on some of the songs. I'm glad Cold Roses is the CD stuck in my CD player and not Jacksonville. I hear he has yet another release this year. I think another with Ethan Johns.(still no sign of that issue arriving)

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:12 am

jacksonville isn't anywhere near as strong as cold roses. i think it's in the weaker half of his catalogue. i'd go so far as to say that i really don't like it, and this is coming from someone who has liked pretty much anything he's done as a solo artist so far.

_Daryl_
pluggin' in mics

Post by _Daryl_ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:22 am

i'm tellin' ya, ryan adams needs to slow down....he is putting too much out there too quickly...either the material isn't as strong, or there are so many damn releases that you have to bump him down the "i must buy this cd" list that we all have....he is unbelievably talented, but if he perhaps stockpiled songs for a year and just put out a double cd or a live one...i dunno, i really dig him, and then there are times when i say to myself, why would he put songs on an album that sound like filler (to me) :roll: ....come on ryan, tighten up :wink: .....

btw, has anyone heard about this neverending rumour that whiskeytown are back together, just waiting for ryan to chill out with solo work? it seems that everytime this rumour seems to be true, he released another album (imagine that :^:)
"cut the shit, and boost the gain"

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm

At least he finally seems to have found some humility. He is an amazing talent and I think this fact led him to act like an asshole on many occasions during the last several years, but I appreciate that he now seems to be more into the music and less into himself. As a Minneapolitan, I like to think that his fracas last year with Paul Westerberg (catty comments from Paul about Ryan to a local audience, then the expected reprisal from Mr. Adams a few days later) had something to do with Ryan Adams finally being cut somewhat down to size. Certainly if Paul Westerberg had any critique about MY music or attitude, I am sure I would consider his words very carefully.

So, now he has deliberately sought an audience at the jam band festivals, he covers obscure Grateful Dead songs ("Bird Song", for example) and the latest live recs. I have heard of his shows this past year have him finally relaxing and enjoying his wonderful talents. Hence, I finally appreciate him.

TeleKing
ass engineer

Strange guy, crazy talent

Post by TeleKing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:55 pm

He needs to find people around him to tell him he's full of crap when needed. And he needs someone to tell him when things suck. I'll fill in if need be.

This last album was as bad as "Rock-N-Roll" and I can't imagine anything being that bad.

I absolutely love the guy's talent, melody, writing, phrasing, etc. But not every song you write should be released.

Seriously, some of his albums are unlistenable because he has so many shockingly poor songs.

However, when he's on, there is not a better songwriter going in my opinion. He's the most talented songwriter of this generation in my opinion, and he has a sense of melody that would place him among the elite of songwriters I believe.

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Re: Strange guy, crazy talent

Post by sleep over jack » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:37 am

TeleKing wrote:He needs to find people around him to tell him he's full of crap when needed. And he needs someone to tell him when things suck. I'll fill in if need be.

This last album was as bad as "Rock-N-Roll" and I can't imagine anything being that bad.

I absolutely love the guy's talent, melody, writing, phrasing, etc. But not every song you write should be released.

Seriously, some of his albums are unlistenable because he has so many shockingly poor songs.

However, when he's on, there is not a better songwriter going in my opinion. He's the most talented songwriter of this generation in my opinion, and he has a sense of melody that would place him among the elite of songwriters I believe.
agreed, but don't talk shit about "Rock n Roll". i just listened to it yesterday and it KICKS ASS. it's very similar to the Pinkhearts stuff, which I love.